DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather and I removed and reinstalled a new clutch on my 2003 eclipse gt 3.0l and when we finally got the bellhousing put pack together with the transmission we couldn't get it to start tried a new starter tried to start but only clicked but no crank checked the battery for surface charge not an issue check for power draws no issues check the starter at autozone comes back good checked relays those are good finally got it to start after jumping the positive terminal on the starter now we can start it without issue but can't be put into gear inspected the bellhousing again and I think the spring fell out of place it helps hold the fork that holds the throwout bearing is there any chance I can get away with getting it back into place without tearing apart the bell housing again all help is very much appreciated just trying to make up my mind if I just want to let the dealership deal with this one thanks you again

·
Registered
24 Posts
The spring doesn't matter. We need to know if the engine can rotate. Can the engine rotate with the clutch pushed in? Can the engine rotate with no clutch? You can rotate the engine manually by placing a wrench on the large center crankshaft bolt. Another way of manually rotating the engine is to tow the car with a tow strap slowly in 1st gear and see if the engine moves. Also never go to any dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine can rotate but clutch doesn't make contact with the clutch safety switch on floorboard and keeps it from starting without jumping starter the problem being now is that the fork assembly doesn't move more than half the throw of the clutch so the slave cylender doesn't make contact

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spring doesn't matter. We need to know if the engine can rotate. Can the engine rotate with the clutch pushed in? Can the engine rotate with no clutch? You can rotate the engine manually by placing a wrench on the large center crankshaft bolt. Another way of manually rotating the engine is to tow the car with a tow strap slowly in 1st gear and see if the engine moves. Also never go to any dealership.
Grandpa states clutch fork is not moving properly and feels like its binding

·
Registered
24 Posts
Engine can rotate but clutch doesn't make contact with the clutch safety switch on floorboard and keeps it from starting without jumping starter the problem being now is that the fork assembly doesn't move more than half the throw of the clutch so the slave cylender doesn't make contact
What you said doesn't make sense: "the clutch doesnt make contact with the clutch safety switch" --"The clutch PEDAL doesnt make contact with the clutch safety switch." is what I think you ment to write.

So i will respond to what I think you ment to write:
You can bypass the safety switch by simply reaching down in the footwell and unplugging the two pin connector on the back of the safety switch. This will allow the starter to run without having to press the pedal at all. There are safety issues with this, especially if you have a remote starter. I may or may not have remote-started my car in first gear causing it to drive forward and run over a pile of bushes and thankfully not hurting anyone or causing any real damage. note: this was when i was dealing with a high RPM idle issue, without this combination of unique modifications and malfunctions the car would have stalled and not driven forward as far as it did.

So unplug the safety switch and then try starting the car normally and get back to us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you said doesn't make sense: "the clutch doesnt make contact with the clutch safety switch" --"The clutch PEDAL doesnt make contact with the clutch safety switch." is what I think you ment to write.

So i will respond to what I think you ment to write:
You can bypass the safety switch by simply reaching down in the footwell and unplugging the two pin connector on the back of the safety switch. This will allow the starter to run without having to press the pedal at all. There are safety issues with this, especially if you have a remote starter. I may or may not have remote-started my car in first gear causing it to drive forward and run over a pile of bushes and thankfully not hurting anyone or causing any real damage. note: this was when i was dealing with a high RPM idle issue, without this combination of unique modifications and malfunctions the car would have stalled and not driven forward as far as it did.

So unplug the safety switch and then try starting the car normally and get back to us.
You would be correct in your assumption of what I had meant thank will do tomorrow thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts