DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have about $2000 dollars and a pretty much stock 97 GST. All I have on my car is an air filter installed by jotech, a turbo timer, 1g bov. I have big plans for this car but $2000 is what I have to work with right now to mod with. If anyone could please give me a list of parts that I could buy with this amount of money and get my car MOVING, I would GREATLY appriciate it! Also, if you give me a list please, if you can, tell me where I could purchase these parts at a good price. Thanks, Cody

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, what times do you think I could be putting down with my budget? The quickest time I ever got with my lame set up was 14.6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
first of all before doing any modding what so ever, you need to sit down and ask yourself what do you want to accomplish with your car? If you want a quick everyday driver the pasrts you buy with your 2k would be different than if you were trying to make a track car. Or if you are going for a good autocross machine as apposed to something just to go point a to point b fast. So when you figure out what you want to do with the car than you figure out what parts will be appropriate from their.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The water pump and the timing belt were replace not too long ago. I want to keep it a daily driver. I live in a small town and there is only one dsm. The guy who drives it is SOOOOOO cocky and I want to stick it to him. :D I now have $3000 to work with and I think it would do the trick. This guy doesnt have too much. All he has is a FMIC, Walbrow 255 fuel pump, greddy Type S BOV, Joe P. MBC, Megan Cat back exhaust, and plugs and wires. He's pretty quick but not quick enough to talk so much shit. Im sure you all know what Im talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forced Performance has a Big EvoIII 16g turbo for five something. Is Forced performance a good place to buy this type of turbo and is this a good set up to start with? Big EvoIII 16g turbo, with walbrow 255 fuel pump, 550cc injectors, new catback exhaust, 1g bov, new plugs and wires.

·
Registered
687 Posts
2gdsmGST said:
Forced Performance has a Big EvoIII 16g turbo for five something. Is Forced performance a good place to buy this type of turbo and is this a good set up to start with? Big EvoIII 16g turbo, with walbrow 255 fuel pump, 550cc injectors, new catback exhaust, 1g bov, new plugs and wires.
I would go with:
evo 3 turbo
supra denso pump
560cc or bigger denso injectors
rre evo 3 downpipe to 3" exhaust
sard afpr
front mount intercooler
you also need a boost controller, some type of knock monitor, wideband, & some type of engine management tool, like aem ems or dsmlink.
plus if you go with the evo 3 turbo, you might as well add the evo 3 exhaust manifold & o2 housing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
16g any varient ($250-550)

safc ($200)

550-720cc injectors ($50-250)

mbc ($30)

3" turbo back exhuast ($100-800) (or open o2 housing free)

3kgt fuel pump ($40)

Ebay intercooler and diy piping ($300ish)

You are well under 2k at this point and running low low 13s high 12s at 110ish mph on 110 octane and 25psi....o yeah and you will also need loggin crap

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What size injectors should I use? Also, how easy is it to use a AFC controller? Im not too familiar with it. Thanks for all the help guys. :D

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
And ARP head studs, a new head gasket... :rolleyes:
This is going to be about $100 for the ARP's + head gasket.
This is a "normal" car. It hasn't been cracked open in how many miles...
PLUS, its a FWD.
You also would benefit from motor mount inserts, good tires...
short throw.
I say get the evoIII 16g, *500-600 depending on port-flapper ect*
port your own 2g o2 sensor housing. *free*
Do the 2g exhaust manifold while your at it... *free*
Save $230...
Get the 3" downpipe that eliminates the cat... *110 eBay*
Get the rest made at a shop cheap. *$100-250*
(You can always bolt your stock downpipe and cat back up this way...)
Logger $150 new.
I agree with SAFCII and 550-660's. About $200-250 new afc
$100-200 injectors
I def plan on cheap FMIC, and I'll make my own piping...
So that too. I've seen direct kits going for $380 with the piping. Or DIY piping and couplers for $130 intercooler $140-$180...
Agreed with the 3000GT fuel pump. ;) Good one!
Make sure while your in there you pull those balance shafts.
Again... its a 2g... b/s removal kit... $45 or less on ebay...
And a boost controller of your choosing.
And really good tires.... really really good tires... ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
2gdsmGST said:
What size injectors should I use? Also, how easy is it to use a AFC controller? Im not too familiar with it. Thanks for all the help guys. :D
for an evo 3 turbo, i would go with no less than 560cc denso injectors from an evo 8.
stay away from that rc & fic crap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car has all new gaskets. The head and valve cover gasket are brand new and the head was resurfaced about 2 months ago. So, honestly do you think I can get all the work done for $3000 or less? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would it be better to buy a 14b turbo and get a new downpipe with catback exhaust, and a boost controller. How much pressure can the 14b take. I want to feel a big difference in my car but I can only install so much myself and there is NOWHERE around here that can do it. Not to mention I only have $3000 budget to work with. This stuff is just so expensive. I guess my rude awakening to the dsm scene.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
It's not expensive

- 16g turbo + install kit
- fmic
- walbro 190lph
- ebay datalogger
- used safc v1
- 650cc injectors
- upgraded clutch
- 3" turbo-back exhaust
- mbc
- boost gauge
Very easily done with 3k....I don't see many things besides possibly the clutch and fmic that you couldn't do yourself with basic shop/hand tools and little knowledge

Those part I listed will put you way less than 3000, but you should save the rest of the $$$ for repairs, good tires constant trips to fill up w/ 93octane, random tid-bits needed to install the parts...These car's are unpredicatble, so be very careful w/ tuning and pushing it hard daily

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its just all a matter of finding these parts at the price you guys are talking about....Im probably just looking in the wrong places. I'll do my best. I appriciate all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts