DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting in a new timing belt. The belt is the kevlar type that is not suppose to stretch much at all. My problem is that I do not have or have access to the tool that you use to set the tension on the idler pully on the slack adjuster arm. I seen a way to do the adjustment on V-faq with a drill bit, but I do not have a .150 drill bit. Is there any other way to do this adjustment at all?

Also could anyone tell me if the slack adjuster rod moves in and out with the engine running or does it just keep pressue out on to the belt and not move in at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link, but I did not see the tork wrench tool that I need. I have the bolt to compress the piston in the slack adjuster. Is there a blue print that I could use to make one? I feel I could make one but need to see one first.

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The slack adjuster rod does move in and out, which is why you have to rotate the crank 6 times and wait 15 minutes before you make sure it's set between .15"-.18" (I'm pretty sure a lot of timing belt 'failures' happen because people don't measure this, or don't measure it correctly).

For anyone who doesn't have access to that tool (or is like me and too cheap to buy one), a prybar with a large flat blade can also be used to put pressure on the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow I never use the tool. I take the whole mutha off and do the timing belt via VFAQ and of course the first time my cousin helped me haha. I do crank the motor 6 times and check the tension though(never lost a belt since my first dsm :D I'm on my 4th one now and am only 20 yrs old going 21 haaha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts