DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt a Jspec 4g63t, and was fixing to put it in the car yesterday. I rechecked my timing marks, and they were off pretty bad on the crank and rear oil pump gear. It appears the belt has perhaps stretched some over the past couple months, and now when i reapply the belt one of two things will happen: 1. My crank/front oil gear will be off by 1/2 tooth when i apply tension. 2. My rear oil pump gear will be off by 1/2 tooth. Nothing i try makes ALL the timing marks be perfect when the tensioner is applied. So...what to do now?
Thanks

Trev

·
Registered
50 Posts
timing belt

Hmmm, do you think you should get a new belt??? Sorry for the sarcasm, but this seems pretty obvious. Also prey that your valves and piston didn't suffer serious damage. It's pretty much a rule with me that if I have removed the timing belt AT ALL, I replace it. If you do try to reuse one inspect it for ANY wear(it should look new), or replace it. Hang it from something, don't lay it on the ground. It is not worth replacing or having to rebuild your cylinder head!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the belts were brand new. I may have set the tensioner wrong and stretched it though. I haven't started the engine yet....so no damage has been done. I just went and bought a new timing belt and b/belt and will try it all again tonight! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I've seen where a new belt would be off size enough that the marks at the cam sprockets wouldn't seem to quite make sense when everything down below was lined up. But, I think the belt would have to be really stretched for the bottom marks not to line up. I agree with LiNkUbUs that it is time for a new belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts