DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my timming belt because I did a timming belt change along with the water pump and ect. and my timming belt has about 1/4 inch of freeplay between both cam gears should I be weried or not?:confused:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: timming belt

Im not sure 1/4 inch is an issue.It depends on how hard youre pushing/pulling to get that measurement.If it takes alot of pressure,id think its ok,if its just flopping with very little pressure you might have a problem.
If you replaced the timing belt rollers,and adjusted the tensioner properly,and used the FSM procedures youre probably ok.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: timming belt

Well it's not flopping around like it did last time but I guess it's fine if it gets worse im just gonna have to fix it for the fifth time. thanks abunch I really appriate it.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Checking the timing belt between the cam gears isn't a reliable way to check the tension. The only true accurate way is the check the timing marks and the gap at the timing tensioner.

Just FYI it's spelled "timing". I've corrected your title. This is your spelling lesson of the day.:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
After my timing belt install mine is loose looking on top too sometimes. If you rotate it by hand or start the car, the second it turns it tightens up so I dont know what the deal is. And mine seems pretty loose... I can slide it some on the intake cam once its been sitting for awhile usually. I already plan on going back through the timing belt and possibly balance shaft belt if I dont remove it since I saw a little spot on the B-shaft belt that looked like a chunk was missing on the tooth part I think.Dont feel like buying another new head. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thats normal. Start the car, and shut it off, then check it. Though it is not an accurate way, it will feel much tighter once the car has turned it a couple time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts