DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the water pump in the 4g37 and when I did it I had to take off the timing belt. I have no idea how to time this engine so I thought it would be ok to leave marks where the pulleys were and just go from there. I got everything all lined back up and when I put it back together and started it up I got this really loud clacking noise under the valve cover. Could it be because the oil pump was not timed? I marked the crank pulley and the cam pulley thinking the oil pump would be fine. I have the 94 1.8 liter talon.

tl;dr how do you time a 94 talon 1.8 4g37?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Clacking could be unrelated to timing. If you didn't pull the VC, then I would look at retiming the motor and trying again. Cam, crank, oil pump, and balance shaft (if you still have them.) Don't rely on where you left them either, just make sure they all are on their timing marks. Grab a Haynes manual if you haven't already.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.