DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready hopefully to get a gst. i dont know why but ive been liking spyders lately..i used to hate em. how happy are you with your turbo spyder. ive heard it is slower than the coupe. if youve driven both is there a difference. basically all i want to know is is there a performance loss with spyders? i rather not start to have to mod just to get up to coupe speed then work fom there...u kno?

and also do spyders come with black tops, like black on black or something? thanks...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I dont own a spyder but:

The car should be able the same as far as performance goes, same engine. Maybe less arerodynamic, but not really noticable.

I think they come with black and tan tops.

·
Registered
430 Posts
They should be the same as the coupe except a little heavier (about 150lbs), and if you want to run faster than 14 sec. at the track you have to get it fitted out with a roll bar.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i'm still in love with my car.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It will perform about the same as the coupe, the only issue is the weight difference as mentioned above, though it's my understanding thats it's only an 80 lb difference. Aerodynamics will only be an issue at extreme speeds and can be remidied by pushing the button that puts the top back up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The do come in black with black tops. I love my GST and you can make them as fast as you want. If your going to suffer the FWD blues then at least get the convertible, it's so nice.

Weigh less than a GSX and about 100 lbs more than a GST.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so it will perform equally to the coupe. i thought spyder was heavier??? how much is a roll cage? and another unrelated question... y does the Gs spyder have the 4g64 instead of the 420a?

thanks again

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is heavier, but not that much that it will be a real burden. Now on a non turbo, that weight difference makes a big difference, I think to try and compensate they threw the 2.4L SOHC 4G64 in there but I could be way off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 2G Eclipse's were built too be convertables remember that. You get a much more reinforced frame, GSX shocks come standard Ohh and girls love convertables. My spider handles better the the 95 GS-T coup I owned before I purchased the spider and it handle almost as well as the 95 GSX I have now. Get the Spider. PS: Black and Tan Looks best :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I enjoy my spyder GS-T.

It's fun, fast (not really ;)), and looks great.

I have the tan top. IM me with any questions or comments about the car and mods.

Also, just a tidbit of information, I used to have a 1995 GS, like yourself.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
your trunk will not perform as well in the "grocery getting" run.
I also have to disagree.
I can fit the weekly (2 people) groceries just fine.
AND if you need more room the useless back seats can hold stuff too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The 2.4L SOHC was used starting way back in '96 Spyders as the guinea pig for the 2000+ Eclipse 4cyl's which share the same engine, just rotated 180º

-jeff-

·
Registered
38 Posts
Spyder

I love my spyder, when its warm that is.. i live in wisconsin :rolleyes: but anyway, they are not much slower then the coupes, just a slightest but from the weight, a lot more chasis flex then the coupes but easily fixed from strut bars and what not. (too bad the rear strut bar gets in the way of the convertible when it retracts). Yes you can get a black top. And as far as the trunk goes, LOL, no its not your typical grocery getter. Grocery bags can squeeze in (hardly), but finding a sub box to fit whole different story.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
pull the rear seat out and you will see the the criss-cross bar

that is you rear strut bar

1 - 20 of 31 Posts