DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son of a #%^#$. The day started off just taking the DP to my local shop to be welded, turns out I need a new flex section:mad: . I don't weld, so to have him cut it out and weld a new one in would be a little over $100. I found someone around here with the same Apex DP that I'm running for a hair under $200 brand new so I grabbed it, and figured I'd sell the old one to someone that needs it and can weld;) . Problem solved... or not.

Get it on and see that the mani is cracked:confused: . So I need to know where to look for either a stocker that's not cracked and cheap, or a 2G ported for cheap, or an EVO III - again cheap would be my emphasis.:rolleyes:

Next I went to take the valve cover off to do new gaskets and there is a huge crack in it:eek: . I made a post a little while ago and someone on here does nice ones' powder coated for cheap, but I still would like to know if there are any out there that are just regular not cracked cheap valve covers.

I'm not that new to DSMs, and do realize that they cost money. But I'm blowing my small to-do mod list budget on just keeping it reliable. The worst part is, it isn't even for me, it's my wifes car. I might just get this stuff done and put it up for sale:rolleyes: . While I've had it, I've sparred no expense and it has been a champ, but that's why it's been so pricey. I have 2 more projects going on, and the family is about to get bigger so I could use the room, and need to get her a bigger car anyways. One step at a time I guess, so any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the rant, and thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
That's actually not too bad. A bad day for me was a $500 day on the car.
Check on craigslist, you should be able to find something.
I can't believe your apex dp broke on you, how many miles were on it?
Got any pics of the car, I wonder if I've seen it driving around since I live right by you.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If you had 50posts you could look in the for sale section but I would just stick to ebay or craigslist.. Or even a local junk yard might have one sitting and you could knock out 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pictures right now, but it's a black GSX with tan interior, automatic. Kind of ricer taillights, with a ****** white girl driving it. Faded roof (what's whith that by the way), and black steel wheels (winter tires that I haven't gotten around to changing off,) and full Apex 3" turbo back.

The exhaust probably has about 20K on it and even though it's stainless, it's rusting at the flex sectoin and the actual flex sextion is leaking. The new one I got is the same but with some design changes - I think they realized the problem and made adjustments so it doesn't happen anymore, lucky me I had one of the old ones:rolleyes: that was defective.

Yeah, that 50 post rule is a good idea, but bad when you need something and aren't trying to fill the site with junk posts just to get to the miletsone. I would go to a junk yard but none are really close to me and I hate going there and coming away empty handed. That's if they don't have what I need, even worse is when they do have it but it's already broke or canabalized.

I called AMS and have a promising lead there, so I will keep checking back here for any other ideas, but for getting the parts now and the car back together today., I will probably have to go that route. Thanks

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I got one for 15 plus a waste fee or something. Which was "half off". My fuckin ass

Went to another junkyard.. 15 bucks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yha, you should sell it... More stuff will break. Get a new car with car payments. Those are reliable. If I were going to buy a new car, it would be a Toyota. IMO :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I got the cover and the mani for $50:D . So with the downpipe $200, cover and mani $50, plugs wires gaskets $125, case of oil and filter $80, todays total = $455, deciding to just get rid of the money pit... priceless.;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah.. Well.. I blew my turbo and engine all in one day. Try a $3200 day out for size.:soapbox: :wompwomp:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I also have a crack in my valve cover. The crack is about 1 inch long and its next to the bottom right bolt in the spark plug area. Do you think the crack is big enough to be causing the noticeable oil puddle on my valve cover? Could the bolts in the valve cover area also be a source of the leak? I already replaced my cap.

Edit- Probably not the right/best thread to be posting this in, but I would appreciate some input. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
hand1222000 said:
DSM=Expensive. LOL Things go out car's are old and need some love just repair it and move on.
I just replace the stock s-way bar link on the 1G, I can only find it in the dealer. Sad thing is parts are getting harder and harder to find. On top of that the factory is stopping parts for it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
For your valve cover, put some jB on it for now until you can afford to fix it. You can grab a cheap SS downpipe or exhaust off ebay for under $200. For your manifold, look for a cheap one that someone is selling, you can also try the dsmtuners classifieds, craigslist, or ebay. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In reference to Hardcores' question, 4 NGK plugs and wires, valve cover gaskets, A whole case of Royal Purple and 2 oil filters, etc. I figured while I have the VC off, i would just do new plugs wires, change the oil, new DP, etc. I got the VC and mani from somebody local and when I went to put the VC on, I found a hairline crack :mad: that would have surely gotten worse had I actually installed it.

I got all excited at the end of the day when I finally talked the wife into selling it :D because we have already spent too much money, and need to start thinking about a human child instead of the DSM kind:rolleyes: . Today she renigged and said she won't get rid of the damn thing:chair: .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts