DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'm totally new to the DSM world of upgrades and mods. I have a bone stock 99 GST. I am also a complete mechanical idiot. I've read all the FAQ's and such, but lacking tools, a place to work in and patience, it looks like I would be paying some shop to do the wor for me. I had a crank walk experience last month ((covered under warranty 30K miles. Other than that no problems except normal maintenance. I guess my question is how reliable can I expect my car to be with mods? It seem that if I stuck with simple air flow and BOV modsI should pick up some power but stay relatively problem free. Any thoughts?
Thanks,cor

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, there's a lot of people who claim that DSM stands for "Do Some Maintenance" and that their cars are always broken.

I have a '95 and have owned it for 2 1/2 years now. She has been great to me...oil, gas, and scheduled service and that's all *knock on wood*. I have pretty much what you're talking about...basic mods - exhaust, intake, IC pipes/bov, tires/wheels, boost control, etc. From my personal experience I can tell you that a well maintained vehicle with light bolt-on mods has the possibility of being highly reliable for you.

Your question doesn't have an answer...it's really a case by case issue. Just because I had good luck doesn't mean you will. Hope this helps a bit :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you want a reliable car, DSM should stand for Don't Start Modding. Treat your car right, I find talking to the car helps alot (yes, I know I'm insane). If you start working on your car (air filter and bov) you'll realize if you just spend another 50-100$ for that mbc, you can add another 10hp. It never stops.

I love my car to death, and so will you. Treat her well :angel:

·
Registered
116 Posts
PrimeAi said:
If you want a reliable car, DSM should stand for Don't Start Modding. Treat your car right, I find talking to the car helps alot (yes, I know I'm insane). If you start working on your car (air filter and bov) you'll realize if you just spend another 50-100$ for that mbc, you can add another 10hp. It never stops.

I talk to my car too...mainly to let it know I still love it after it hears me talk about getting another car :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
PrimeAi said:

I love my car to death, and so will you. Treat her well :angel:
thats true, you say you wont mod it to hell but everyone with money ends up doing it, untill their t-belt rips and the car sits there for 2 months :(

peace

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
You'll become a mechanic by necessity. I never even changed the oil in a car before I got my first DSM. Now I'm rebuilding engines, and turboing NTs. In all seriousness, at this rate, I'll have a shop opened in another year or two.
Just read, and read some more, but most importantly don't be afraid to tinker once in a while. I remember the first time I opened the hood, and just started toying with things. A few days later, I was putting on new CV boots, and it just escalated. You might breaks some stuff, but you learn a LOT more fixing things hands on than just looking at pictures, and reading. In the end, you'll know your car, and engines in general, like a god. :hail:

·
Registered
827 Posts
colonelfox said:
You'll become a mechanic by necessity. I never even changed the oil in a car before I got my first DSM. Now I'm rebuilding engines, and turboing NTs. In all seriousness, at this rate, I'll have a shop opened in another year or two.
Just read, and read some more, but most importantly don't be afraid to tinker once in a while. I remember the first time I opened the hood, and just started toying with things. A few days later, I was putting on new CV boots, and it just escalated. You might breaks some stuff, but you learn a LOT more fixing things hands on than just looking at pictures, and reading. In the end, you'll know your car, and engines in general, like a god. :hail:
Amen!! Same story here; before the DSM the most "technical" thing I did with a car was to change the oil. This is how the saying, "DSM's: Making mechanics out of ordinary people since 1989" (or something like that) came about.

·
Registered
827 Posts
colonelfox said:
That sig kicks ass RochNY91TSI. :D
Thanks :) I saw it on the Sentra forum I'm also on and thought it was pretty good, so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts