DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a decent mechanic and a DIY'er, BUT before I tackle this I thought I might ask all DSM'ers for their valued opinions first.
Situation:
Wife's car- '90 Talon Tsi AWD 5spd (So I haven't driven it to verify slipping clutch. She wouldn't notice that until the car stopped moving at all.)
When car is idling in neutral, I get an obnoxious spinning/grinding noise. Press clutch pedal down and noise goes away; release clutch pedal and noise comes back intermittently. Only happens at start-up first thing in the morning. Definitely from trans. area!
My first thought is worn clutch disk or some kind of bearing on input shaft IN the trans. Anybody experience the same? What did you find?
All opinions welcomed! Do I smell new tranny w/act2100...D***, I wanted to do mine w/act2600 first...lol, THX

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

[This message has been edited by Van (edited September 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Van (edited September 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was looking at a 91 Eclipse GSX and it needed a throw-off bearing in the clutch, it was a rolling-grinding noise. Maybe this could be it?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, usually a throw-out bearing makes alot of noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down and only a little, if any, when the clutch pedal is let back up. This is that same kinda noise but, at the opposite time.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts