DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a rattle when I first start up my '91 Tsi FWD. It's coming from the transmission. I just had a phantom grip lsd, centerforce df clutch, new t/o bearing and bg synchroshift installed about 3 mos. ago. It has gotten worse as the weather has gotten colder here in CT. If I put my foot on the clutch it goes away. It does it while idling in neutral and also while driving the first mile and then it mysteriously vanishes like it was never there once warmed up. It'll also disappear if I let it idle long enough. I did a search and saw a couple of posts with similar symptoms but no solutions. Anyone out there have this problem and if so how'd you resolve it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
similar to my problem??

I have a 95 GST and since Saturday, I have had this dull knocking sound coming from the transmission. It all started when I took a REALLY HARD left one night - I heard this creaking sound which I thought was just the body of the car creaking under the strain and then suddenly a new sound: "knock knock knock knock" which was unlike anything else I have ever heard - not like the higher pitch sound of the valves clicking. The sound went away when I shifted into 3rd. The sound would start up again when I started out from a stop at the next few intersections and would go away when shifted into 3rd - all the way home.

With help from another club member, we removed the flywheel dust cover to make sure there wasn't anything that came loose that left fragments in there - and their wasn't. We thought maybe it was a symptom of crankwalk but we check for crank "play" and there really wasn't much to write home about. We used a stethoscope to determine that the knock actually came from the transmission. I originally thought it was a bearing or wrist pin - something deep and low inside the block.

When idling the car in neutral, you can hear the knock. When you push the clutch pedal in, the sound goes away. The rpms do change slightly - they go up about 100rpms when you push the pedal in and drop down 100 when you take your foot off of the pedal. We thought maybe it was a clutch pedal adjustment problem but after playing with the adjustment we determined that it had no effect on anything.

With the car jacked up we did notice an UNUSUAL fast spinning of the wheels while the car was in neutral which completely freaked out the person underneath the car. I have witnessed this before with just one wheel when I recharged my A/C but I have never seen both wheels off the ground spinning that fast. Someone else in my local club said that was normal. It's fricken dangerous if you ask me.

I have no conclusions at this time. The car is jacked up and I will start removing things this week.

I know I need to replace my driveshafts due to 2 maybe 3 bad CV joints. My starter started making a horrendous noise 2 weeks ago so that will need replaced. I will be removing the transmission to further investigate - look at the clutch disc.

If my transmission needs worked on it will probably be a John Shepherd rebuild and I might as well splurge and get the Quaife LSD while I am at it. Maybe I should go rice and have the transmission case painted purple as well since it will be out????

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 92 Laser RS AWD that rattles. It does it in 1st, 2nd, 5th, and idle. If I press in the clutch it goes away after a few seconds. I've ruled out the throw-out bearing, since its been replaced 3 times. Tranny was also rebuilt and the noise didnt go away. I'm thinking a bad or worn bearing? I've had the noise for about 3 years now. Please, please provide any information on what could possibly be causing the noise.

William

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same problem. It only does it with the clutch out in neutral. Push the clutch and it stops. Im thinking the Tranny inputshaft bearing is on its way out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had this problem 2 years ago. At first i thought maybe flywheel?? After about 2 months of driving with this noise my tranny started grinding like a bitch. After about 2 more months of grinding almost everytime i put it into first and shifting gears i decided to change the tranny. After the tranny swap (good used unit) and an ACT 2100 clutch and throw out bearing it was great. Then about 3 months after the swap same thing happened again except this time i didn't let it get as bad as it did before and swaped out the tranny again with a newer (still a 1g) used tranny and i have been fine for over a year now. I still get grinding once in a great while (typical DSM) but no noises like that anymore. I still never found out the exact problem but i figured since i changed trannies twice and the problem went away both times its got to be something inside the tranny. :dunno:

·
Registered
131 Posts
my 91 talon tsi awd did that for a while, i just recently removed the engine/tranny and found that the metal plate between the engine and tranny was broken into two pieces and was ratteling around in there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
me too

well i got no clutch sine I drive an auto but the noise is slike marbles in a can sound, goes away as the speed builds up but it only rattles when you gas it, at idle its ok, and then a funny thing happened, didn;t use the car for 4 days and its gone! weird if you asked me

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Knocking Noise

I found out what the knocking noise was in my transmission. I was missing 2 teeth out of 2nd gear. I guess all those years of missed shifts finally took their toll.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tranny is coming out either the end of this week or beginning of next so once I find out what's wrong with it I will post the answer. Probably a bearing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm gonna say it's the throw out bearing. Off the clutch, no pressure on it=rattle. It's hapening on my car. Nothing But OEM next time.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
im having this same problem its definently a rattle and when i push in the clutch there is no change and it always happens when the car hits 2500-3000 rpms but happens around there occasionaly. the clutch fork is loose as in i can push it toward the slave cylender about 1 inch i have somewhat low pebdal pressure (as in it engages right of the floor kinda) when i move the fork back and forth there is a slight tick type noise. i was just wondering if anyone else new what was going on. anyone fixed there problems. Please help me. thank you Erik

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
frontdriver said:
My tranny is coming out either the end of this week or beginning of next so once I find out what's wrong with it I will post the answer. Probably a bearing.
It ended up being my centerforce disc. I had tranny out and torn apart. There was nothing wrong with tranny other than some metal dust/shavings (minimal) from Phantom grip. When disc was checked one of the springs appeared to be loose. There was no cfdf disc available since they're only sold in sets with diaphragm so I had to use a Mitsubishi. No more rattle, clutch holds fine. This is with the same throwout bearing. I sent disc back to CF for evaluation and was told all they could do was tighten spring and send it back if they don't find anything else wrong with it. For now I'll keep the Mits. disc in there until I have a problem and keep the cfdf disc for a backup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts