DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard people say that these probes are the best you can get, but no one has ever posted a Review of them on here.

After porting my exhaust manifold a while back, the probe that came with my Greddy gauge got damaged somehow while out of the manifold. When TRE finally got one of their probes in stock, I ordered one. Ming from TRE was very helpful through e-mails. Price of the probe was 38$, plus shipping and tax it was $56. (I got two-day shipping)

To attach the probe you just cut off the plug that comes with the Greddy EGT gauge and attach the connector that comes with the TRE probe.

I thought that the Greddy probe was fast. I was amazed after I hooked up the TRE probe. You can see the temperature drop when you shift gears when driving casually, and when just revving the motor in neutral. I'd have to say that if you are looking for a EGT probe, this is the one to get, especially considering that I've seen the replacement Greddy probes for 85$.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
I can notice temp differences when I shift with my apexi probe too. I don't doubt that probe, but it just sounds like a vaque description IMO.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My Greddy probe changes temps with reeving just slightly also, and shifting like you said.

I use it as a budget turbo timer also. Once the gauge needle drops below 500° Celcius, I can turn off my motor (depending on how hard I've run the car this can take 30 seconds, to two minutes).

Is your Greddy EGT gauge Electric or Mechanical? That *MAY* have something to do with it.

I might look into this probe if anything happens to mine (which I hope not, because my EGT is something I don't know how people tune without).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also have a Greddy EGT gauge and just got a TRE probe. When I put it on, do I splice it into the wire before plastic connector or after the connector?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
webbdog said:
I also have a Greddy EGT gauge and just got a TRE probe. When I put it on, do I splice it into the wire before plastic connector or after the connector?
Cut the Greddy plug off, you don't need it anymore. This will leave you with two wires, a red and a white one I believe. You have the TRE probe so you know what the connector on it looks like. You just unscrew the screw in the connector/harness, put the wires in (of course after stripping the wires), and screw the screw back in.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
PokeyTheDSM said:
My Greddy probe changes temps with reeving just slightly also, and shifting like you said.
The difference is in the response time. Any decent probe will respond to a temperature change eventually.. the better ones respond faster.
Is your Greddy EGT gauge Electric or Mechanical? That *MAY* have something to do with it.
EGT gauges are electrical. A thermocouple is an electrical device, no way to make a mechanical gauge out of it.

The TRE probes are nice but I believe they are an exposed junction type. So they should wear out more quickly than a shielded probe. But I've had one on my car for about a year... I think I screwed it up when pulling it out of the manifold though, so I need to buy a new one from Jon. My old Westach clamp-on probe broke the same way.. maybe EGT probes don't like being moved after being installed and heat cycled a few hundred times.

The TRE probe is fast as hell though. Definitely quicker than the Westach shielded probe I originally had (with a VDO gauge), and the Westach was easily quick enough to tune with. Stay away from the VDO probe though.. that is the only one I have heard consistently BAD reviews about. VDO makes nice gauges, but for some reason their EGT probe sucks.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,110 Posts
I also have gotten my TRE probe in (after waiting some 4 weeks for shipment) and love the fast response. Before, I had the Autometer probe which was slow as shit but lasted fine for over a year. The TRE probe is a huge difference and jumps around just from sitting in the driveway and revving; something that was not possible with the Autometer probe.

During the wait, I called TRE a number of times and Jon and Ming were more than helpful and apologetic for the wait. They have great customer service (considering that he is pretty understaffed) and are overall nice guys.

Jon

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Has anyone's TRE probe died? How long did it last?
I'm wondering what the life will be on mine?

From their website it says:
Thermocouple Life Expectancy: 20,000 to 50,000 Miles.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I think my TRE probe lasted about 20k? I don't remember the mileage when I put it on.

Just got 2 probes in from Jon, so I'm back in business! :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
doesnt Autometer make a few different stages (i.e. standard,competition,race)of K type thermocouple probes?
I think you can get better probes from them then what come standard with their EGT gauge, but I do believe the TRE probe is a better deal overall. Just curious if anyone has tried the advanced probes offered by Autometer because Ive never seen any discussion on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've used both the Autometer "Comp" probe ($150) and it was much faster than the standard street probe, but not quite as fast as the TRE.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to ask how/when do you know that your EGT probe has gone bad....I have had one now for about a year and was just wondering...

It seems to be working fine, like when I bought it....

Thanks and take care

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
The probe is dead when it stops working (lol, what an explaination). When they die, they usually start reading a constant temperature around 1000F, or simply not moving the gauge needle at all. There is no exact mode of failure... but when it dies it's fairly obvious that it's not working anymore.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Another huge thumbs up for the TRE probe. I like the idea that if it ever did break, it's too small to do any damage to the turbo.

As far as it being fast? Try this on for size. Here in cold ass Minnesota, in the first 5-10 minutes of driving on these 15 degree days, I can actually watch the gauge flutter in a 50-100 degree arc extremely rapidly as the exhaust gas hits it, and then during the split second where the exhaust valves are closed and it cools down from the surrounding air and _relatively_ cool exhaust manifold. Amazing.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
I blew my first autometer probe the same way when porting my manifold. Not sure what happened, but it didn't work when reinstalled. The TRE probe came a few weeks ago, and is quite a bit more responsive than the stock autometer. The only small problem was a longer than expected wait. Jon let me know he was out of the shop for a few days, and shipped it as soon as he came back though. It lights up the second the engine starts, and I can see it fluttering from the slightest throttle blips. The autometer seemd lethargic compared to this one. The military uses these, so they have to be very accurate, and fast acting.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
How about did you go on with installing this? The Westach I had was quite easy. Just drill a hole and clamp it on. I just sent payment out for this probe, and all I have now is to wait for it to arrive. I'd just like to know what has to be done when installing it for future reference. To me it looks like you have to drill and tap a hole. Is that correct?

·
Registered
354 Posts
turbs said:
doesnt Autometer make a few different stages (i.e. standard,competition,race)of K type thermocouple probes?
Originally posted by dsm1995gst
Cut the Greddy plug off, you don't need it anymore. This will leave you with two wires, a red and a white one I believe. You have the TRE probe so you know what the connector on it looks like. You just unscrew the screw in the connector/harness, put the wires in (of course after stripping the wires), and screw the screw back in.

If i were to purchase an Autometer Sport-Comp EGT gauge, can i use the TRE probe with it? Is the splicing similar to the Greedy EGT gauge? I'd like to save some money, and have all my gauges match by going w/ autometer if i could (and still retain accuracy)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just recieved my probe from TRE also. I had a autometer probe in and it was ok but I bought a new exhaust manifold and had to remove it and put in new manifold, and what do you know it never worked after that. I was very careful in removal and I was very pissed that it would not work after that, and then I found the TRE probe and I figured what the hell I mine as well get a high quality probe instead of a regular one that was slow anyway's(Dam things are very fragile). Well anyway Jon from TRE was great got mine in a week for 53 dollar's to my house. So I recommend the TRE probe to anyone looking for a great probe at a cheap price. Later

Ed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts