DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard sumwere that the TRE modded turbos dont hold boost well becaus of the larger wastgate door haveing more surface area to be pushed open by boost pressure. im interested in the TRE as a turbo upgrade, and would like to learn more about TRE and how well the mods they do to turbos perform. thx

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey I haven't heard of TRE, but I'm a huge fan of the HRC Super series of turbo's. I have the 16G and I'll tell you what, the turbo is flawless. It took only 5 hours to install, the directions couldn't be any easier to read, and Hahn is a great place to deal with. This turbo has no problem supplying 25lb. of boost, DOES NOT SPIKE, and there are a choice of two different actuators available, eliminating the need for a seperate boost controller if so desired. I teamed this w/ the Super AFC and the HRC 625cc injectors and the power is just crazy. It's so smooth, and the boost starts building around 3k or so. Awesome, I love it!

------------------
1998 GS-T

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow I found one person in the DSM Land that has not heard or TRE. I really think that you should check them out at www.teamrip.com. They do some of the best porting that I have seen. Other than me ofcourse =). Anyway onto answering the question. Who ever told you that the TRE turbos do not hold boost well becuase of the flapper door is wrong. Holding boost has nothing to do with the wastegate flapper door. All the extra large door does it allow more waste gast to be removed from the exhuast housing so that you do not get boost creep. In all honesty you do not need that large of a wastegate flapper door unless you want to run like 10psi. And if you are only running 10psi you dont need to be gettting a larger turbo in the first place. If you are getting just a 16g or big 16g just get a nicely ported one and you will be fine. I run my 16g at 22 psi on pump gas all day long.

Richard. www.thedsmshop.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm having TRE Port a manifold for me as we speak :) hehe

He's an awesome guy and does awesome work, I highly recommend getting port work done there

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a ported 16G with TRE's wastegate mod. I've never had any problems with the turbo holding boost. I usually run 15-17psi on the street and once it reaches that level, it stays solid all the way to redline. The wastegate mod is almost a must with a 16G and free-flowing exhaust.

I have a friend with only a 14B...he runs the stock downpipe, testpipe, and 3-inch exhaust. That thing will creep like crazy. We attached the wastegate actuator direcly to the intake manifold effectivly giving him 7psi. At boost, it shoots to about 15 and creeps all the way to 20 before he has to back off of it. The 16G has the same sized wastegate as the 14B so it would creep even worse.

BTW: I was running an even better flowing exhaust (downpipe) with my 16G and it didn't creep at all. I could set the boost to 10psi and it would hold it all the way to redline with the wastegate mod. Highly recommended. The 16G is going on the 2G I just bought as soon as I get my stuff from Road//Race Engineering. :D

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

[This message has been edited by Genius (edited October 09, 2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts