DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a S-AFC soon and am wondering where the best place to mount it is. I considered putting it in one of the DIN slots in the dash, but after closer examination it doesn't look as though it will fit. I've seen others take out the center vents to mount the AFC, but I really want to keep those.

If I mount it in the glovebox, I wouldn't be able to adjust it while driving, but I shouldn't have to do that anyways right?

Marlin Liew
97 GSX "Phacade"

·
Registered
871 Posts
well you don't mount it in the glove box, you just store it in there. i have mine in the center arm rest, i had to cut a small hole to feed the wire into the compartment then just plug it together. i had to keep the glove box open for my avc-r. i didn't really want them out in plain view. as far as the afc, your right once it is set you'll seldom ever change the settings. and the avc-r gets pulled out of the glove box and layed on the seat or in my lap when it's in it's time of need :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
871 Posts
good-lord zbeest, you got stuff mounted everywhere. don't like the a-piller mounts huh :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, it started out as only mounting the boost gauge in the location you see. I copied that unique mounting method from PPG (Mark Scheitzbach), then I got the EGT gauge so I needed to mount it somewhere visible. I came up with the homemade pod mounted on the side view mirror idea. Then came the AFC and it too needed to be mounted somewhere visible so I came up with it's custom pod idea. All three things are easy to see and I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
What you don't see in the picture is the homemade A/F voltmeter on top of the steering column.... :)

------------------
Chris Holmes
'91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051
Turbo + Intercooler = The Replacement For Displacement

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
ZBEEST-that mounting pod for your AFC is sweet. What did you mold the pod out of?

In response to the original question--I saw a guy with a 2G mount his
AFC in his headliner right between the two sun visors. It was sunk into the material of the liner and sat flush with the ceiling. It looked damn nice IMO.

------------------
1995 Talon TSI fwd

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Here's mine, not as fancy, but gets the job done....

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
129 Posts
FastFWD:
Did you have any problems getting the SAFC to fit in that DIN opening? I haven't measured, but it looks like a pretty tight fit.

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
It was a perfect fit. Hardest part was making it stay in there. Zip ties saved the day :D

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
228 Posts
RedGSX,
I like your friend's mount above the sun roof control. How did he get it to stay there? And how did he get the wires there? Seems like a long and hard way to get it there. Was it?

-'96 GSX

------------------
Free mods, K&N Air intake , HRC UIC with 1G BOV, Auto Meter 0-35psi ultra lite boost gauge, Japanese version Greddy turbo timer, Joe P. MBC @ 15psi.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The one on the sunroof belongs to a guy in Not a Business Racing. He has a pretty good write up on how he did it in their bulletin board. I can tell you that he had to cut the harness and splice some wires into it to make it long enough to reach.

------------------
1995 GS-T
Perfection Thru Speed
Check it out!!
www.angelfire.com/fl3/nicksdsm/pts/home.htm

·
Registered
265 Posts
can someone measure the dimensions of their safc for me? im trying to see if i'll be able to puit it in the vent of my gvr4...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts