DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, anyways this is about my dizzum not me.

My car used to smoke like crazy after start up, none for the first few minutes then a little at idle but A LOT A LOT when you reved it up. Upgrade time the turbo is shot! Or so i thought, there was a ton of shaft play and oil covers a lot of my engine. I believed it was the turbo also causing my really choppy idle, and really low vaccum 10vac. I just finished replacing my old toast 14b for a brand new ported and polished e3 16g. I primed the hell out of it, cranked the key for 10 seconds 4-5 times. Started the car still idles like shit : / and now when i rev it up there is not as much smoke but still a little bit of smoke, there is a almost whitish Grey smoke at idle and it's more grey when revving.

Could really retarded timing (actually really retarded timing) cause the rough idle, the lack of power and the smoke? I don't think i have any vaccum leaks, i did a boost leak check with my tester and no leaks. Also the spark plugs look kinda toast, they just look old, could that cause smoke aswell? There is no coolant in my oil, and no oil in my coolant. I don't believe it's head gasket, compression is also 150psi across the board..

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
If your turbo did blow it's seals then you should disconnect your lower smic/fmic line and check for oil in there. More than likely that residual oil is getting sucked back into your intake and running thru your engine.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You could be sucking oil thru the motor that was leftover from the nuked 14b, but you said oil covers a lot of your motor, what did you mean by that?

Blue smoke is oil, grey/white is usually coolant. There was a thread going here about a week or two ago, this guy was throwing good compression numbers, but his HG was still out. As for no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, that doesn't always rule out a HG being out. The passages don't always bridge with each other, they sometimes just bridge with the combustion chamber.

Anyway, to answer your other questions....no, timing and bad spark plugs won't cause significant amounts of smoke to be pushed thru the exhaust. Do you have a strait pipe, no cat?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Did you do a proper boost leak test after installing the new turbo? With vacuum that low at idle, "if you don't have any boost leaks," the timing could very well be off a tooth or more.. As far as the smoke, it sounds like a whole different problem. Fix all boost leaks and check timing and come back with results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts