DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up behind a guy in a 2nd gen Eclipse GST and could tell he at least had exhaust. We turned left onto a clear 2 lane and he takes off. I didn't think he had noticed me, but I guess he did so I went after him. I couldn't really gain on him, but he couldnt get anything on me, so I'm guessing he had something more than a t25.

We get to the next stoplight, but there is a cop to our right so we didnt race there. But when it went green we both gave it a little throttle just so we knew it was gonna happen at the next light.

Next light, no cop, 1/4 mile straight. I roll down the window and we grin and start revving. Light turned green and I launched from 6000k RPMs. I squwaked all 4 tires and I could hear his fronts spinning for a long way. Went to shift into second but because my synchros are shitty I missed it, but got it back in gear after about a second. He's gaining on me because of that and got up to my rear quarter panels. Then I shifted to third and he jumped a little ahead with that. By the time we started breaking we were about even, maybe he was a tiny bit ahead. I know if I hadnt fucked up shifting into 2nd I would have had a car or two on him. I had such a damn good launch too. :(

Anyway, that was my first "real" race ever and it was a total fucking blast. It was an added bonus that there were two hotties in the car with me who loved it. I'm still upset that I missed second though......partly my fault for not yanking back on the shifter hard enough and partly the fault of very worn synchros.

BTW, my mods are-

16g
2.5" turbo back
2.5" UICP
Fuel pump
ACT 2100
16psi

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice Kill, I go to school in Galesburg, so if you're ever in the area PM me. We can always shoot the shit about our cars. Oh yeah, I've seen modded FWDs with T-25s hang with lightly modded first gens pretty well. The T-25 is a puny snail but it shouldn't be written off so quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if it was exactly a kill.......and in all honesty, I don't remember who was ahead when I started braking. First race, so the adrenaline was pumping and I wasn't thinking about anything but my car. But either way, it was fun as hell.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Turn that boost up to 18psi please and get some BG syncroshift.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yeh not a bad run.....just stay focused next time, and it will be very smooth for ya! hehe i remember my first race, i couldnt launch my car for shit! Anyway get that thing runnin good and your gonna be pretty quick.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good kill! I live in Peoria. East Peoria to be more exact. We have a local club at www.dsmcentral.com . You should check it out. We usually have fairly regular meets. And we're all about doing a little street racing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks guys!

Evil Talon + Natedogg- I'm hoping to be up North sometime soon so if I do, I'll shoot you guys an email.

Baddsm- I've been planning to put in synchroshift for a while but never got around to it. I need to soon cause that really sucked. Don't want to lose another race to shitty fluid. Will 18 psi be safe on my mods?

Bigbadgsx- dude, I was TOO focused. I had tunnel vision like you wouldn't believe. I didn't even really know where he was, I was just looking dead ahead and at my tach. Nothing else. I launched that thing better than I ever have before though. That's one thing I can do fairly well for someone who has never raced. It's just the rest of the gears that got me! :p

·
Registered
297 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go above 15psi. I was getting small amounts of knock in my car with 18psi. I had similar mods to you at that point. Your car may run fine but if you are running higher boost and your ecu reads knock it will scale back timing meaning you are slower. I've been known to be cautious with tuning so get a second opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts