DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new here as well as to DSM....and Im buying a 92 TSI but it has a small issue with the tranny...2nd gear grinds if i shift too fast. the engine has been replaced now having 40k on it but the stock trans is still in it with about 120k on it. im not sure how long it will last or where to even get parts for it if i wanna try to fix it my self. will it last? any one know where i can send it to or buy parts for it if it does need to be fixed?
also a friend told me the lancer evo has the 4G63 in it and i was wondering if lancer evos transmissions would fit my 1st gen??

any one have any aswers to these?

thanks every one

·
Registered
267 Posts
Swap some Redline synthetic oil in the tranny and see if that helps.

If your looking to rebuild...send to http://www.shepracing.com/
It's like $900 for a basic rebuild and well worth it. That's if you can afford it.

120k on a stock tranny is alot since it could have been beaten on.

As far as the Evo tranny being swapped in your 1g....I dont think it's possible but dont quote me on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks alot ill look into that site some more about rebuilding the tranz. and ill try the redline synthetic.

im pretty sure the tranny hasnt been beaten on since around 80k....i think thats when this guy baught it...and once he baught it was taken care of. it seems to run nice in every gear but just grinds a tad into second unless i slowly shift..hes an old friend of mine and still a good frind of my good friends lol so i dont think he'll rip me off intentionally. but im assuming 6 months at min from what ive heard about eclipse trannys

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fluid's can work wonder's the redline is very good, Im a big fan BG Sycroshift brand product's. Like mentioned above trany's will vary greatly as far as life span goes, my gvr4's housing cracked with 144k on it however a friend of mine has a 91' I believe talon awd with 230+ on the clock with the stock trans and I don't think he has any issues..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found out he just had his bell housing welded cuz it cracked...he said that was the last repair done...so hopefully thats the last of the issues for a while and i can get it

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You need GM Syncromesh. I had the same problem. I was about to rebuild it and tried the fluid and it worked like liquid gold. Its the only thing that works well in those trannies. Its not cheap and you have to buy it from your dealer. Trust me this stuff works.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
2 quarts. I think theyre like $15 each or something at the dealer maybe more. Dealers are rip offs see if you can get it somewhere else. I pay it because that stuff is worth it though. Before it I couldnt shift above 4 thousand now I can shift anywhere even over redline! Works great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A temporary fix to your problem would be to not shift as fast. Save a little bit on the synchros from getting too much damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts