DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Ginsu hasn't been on the boards in months if not a year. But due to nagging naysayers he never really let on what size turbo he had. And did you even read through the thread? Because he says early on some good 'ideas' for a turbo, which should clue you in on approximately what size turbo he used.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes i've read this thread many many times, i read it about twice a day. I've been talking to EE about this turbo project, and he thinks that a 16G is gonna be to small and will spool to fast, anything below that will be to small a 20g might even be a bit small and spool pretty quick, i didn't really ask ginsu i just wanted to know if a 16g would spool as fast as i think it will?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well I was debating the same idea of turboing my motor, and I was planning on running a 50-trim. However, you've gotta look at this important detail. Most DOHC engines run around 95% VE (volumetric efficiency) while our little SOHC 8-valve runs somewhere around 78% VE. You REALLY have to take that into consideration since obviously the 1.8 isn't as efficient nor does it have the extra 200cc's of displacement. So what does that mean? Slower spool.

I'd imagine that running an e316g on our motor would probably be the best bet. Because after my 50 trim arrived, I knew there was NO way that beast would spool very quickly on the '37. That's why I chose to swap motors =)

Again, this is kind of speculation, and I'm sure if you really wanted to do the math, you could figure out around when the e316g would spool, but I'm lazy, and I already made my decision.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd be more than glad to do the math if i knew how to begin to start the equation(i think thats the word i want) I don't know much about turbos that's why I've been talking to EE I figured turboing my 1.8L would be a good step to get me into the turbo world and give me something to learn off of. I understand what your saying Kronus and believe that is true as well. I will prob use a 16g it sounds right to me.. Thank you.

Clayton

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
No prob. Another thing you have to consider though, is what you want from the car. Honestly, being FWD, I wouldn't mind the turbo spooling later, but the 1.8 doesn't have much of a power band to work with.

Now as far as turboing the 1.8 to bring you into the turbo world, I'm gonna honestly say that's kind of a counter intuitive way of doing it. Learn from me, I jumped right into the swap with a 50 trim, and there have been SO MANY THINGS that I had to research and purchase that I really didn't think I'd end up needing to. Don't let me discourage you, but I'd just hate to see you get in deep, and then be stuck at a point where you can't do anything. Or getting stuck without a car. Like me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not to mention the majority of the parts will have to be custom made or retro fitted off of the g32b engine.

Kronus, how far along are you with the swap?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm gettin' there. The harness is swapped over already and the motor is almost finished. I just have to mount the turbo and intake mani and I'll be swapping motors this week.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yea, been wondering on how you'd been doing on that 4G63 motor project (finally get the pulley situation all taken care of? ) - thinking of the time you hunted for that CYCLONE head for your 1.8L - now, it's time to get into some serious fun now.

Good luck -op.712

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well my dsm is just a project car, i got my DD and my truck to drive. If i had to get this done to drive it i wouldn't even think about putting a turbo on it. I don't need it so i figure why not, and after i get a 4G63T built i can swap the 16g over and then slowly step up the turbos to something like a 35R..

Clayton

·
Registered
301 Posts
do you still use the stock mass air flow sensor?
As Kronus said a while back, Ginsu hasn't been on the board in a long time.
In any case, he probably does have/had the same MAF in there. There's really no reason to swap MAFs in the '37 because of how poorly the head flows. Basically, we'll never make enough power to out-flow the stock MAF. If you want, you can certainly hack the MAF to get a little more flow out of it, but it's not really necessary unless you want to put on a cone filter and get an adapter for it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No one's mentioned this....
I just got a 4g32T manifold and am about to turbo the 1.8 and I noticed when I enstalled it there is no o2 sensor bung!! I will probably use a bung welded into the exhaust and extend the sensor wires. However another question developed.... I found a guy selling the small turbos off a 3000GT however which works better the rear or front? He said the rear may work better cause it has a straight elbow? Any ideas?

·
Registered
301 Posts
You may have problems mounting the T28 to the 4G32 manifold. I don't know if the Garrett turbo is set up for that particular manifold, whether it's an MHI flange or Garrett flange. Worth giving that a check before purchasing it.
Depending on what intercooler you want to run, whether a small front mount or the stock side mount off of the 1G 4G63.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
He has both front and rear so I'll take the manifold with me. I'll probably run a sexy front mount intercooler. I'll let ya know when the time comes.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.