DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to make a decision here and I want it to be the right decision so I don't have to do it again when I have more money.

I blew a turbo after running my car after sitting a long winter (Garrett 50 trim)

I dropped it off at JNZ when I got back and now I finally got the quote of about 600 bucks to replace the center cartridge and both wheels. JNZ sells them new for 850.

Setup:
98 gst 6 bolt swap 2.3l
stock 7 bolt head (for now)
stock trans (for now)
1050cc inj with 255 walbro and aero reg
dsmlink tuning
etc.

I plan to eventually build the head/trans

Now, I need to figure out if the rebuild is worth it or if I should go with a different turbo now that it is stroked.

I was thinking maybe the turbo is somewhat small for the engine so I wanted to get some opinions.. fp3065.. gt30 or 35 R?..

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Cant go wrong with any of those turbo's you listed, if I ever get the money together I will be running a 35r.. Sorry to hear about the turbo, I agree with rebuilding it yourself and having it balanced if its going to save you $$, if you decide on going bigger you can sell the turbo to me.:cool:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha well I will keep you in mind, as I will be going bigger, but for now I will rebuild it and throw it on to have fun for the remainder of the summer, then go big and start the customizing when she sleeps over the winter.

I knew there was something in rebuilding that you couldnt do yourself, I just figured I'd let them do it so I dont have to worry but being a mechanic, I should be able to handle it and then have it balanced.

Now as for getting the center cartridge and wheels, is that something I have to get straight through garrett? I'm real new with the guts of turbos and I do know that mine is not tagged.. They just told me it was some sort of hybrid of a 50 trim, but it DOES say garrett? Is there a certain spot on the inards that have part numbers?

I guess the easiest thing to do would be get the parts through JNZ, but the problem with that is they will still be charging me more for the parts and everything so I won't be getting them near as cheap as I may be able to, atleast being in the business I would think that'd be the case. Normally I would say screw it and give them the business, but I will always be giving them money as long as there is a dsm in my garage. Any suggestions here?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
kemp_travis said:
Bullseye m-trim FTW

Me too!!!! I have this guy on my storker and it spools like a t25. Almost exactly like a t25 but pulls harder and longer. You can do WAYYYY bigger though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a cheap site. I found the kit, but I was wondering if the 50 trim having a bullseye housing matters, like are the internals the same if it were on a chrysler or a pontiac housing? Just different housings, same internals correct?

Like I said, I never did much reading on turbos.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I emailed that site to see what they say but, anyone?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked to gpop's phone guy and he said that the center cartridge with wheels is literally everything except the housings. So basically it is a new turbo and he gave me a price of 550 through him and after taxes and shipping with JNZ, I will have the turbo in my hand for about 610 so they actually diagnosed, fixed, balanced, and shipped this thing for about the same price as gpops parts!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts