DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I've had this car its been nothing but a headache. After fixing my clutch problems I now have a problem with crankcase pressure and oil leaking.
Since I've had the car I put in an autometer boost gauge and the turbo has never boosted more then 7psi in any gear and boost does not appear to come on till 4000rpm. I'm using 93 octane gas only. So I did a leak test. Immediatly air began rushing out of the valve cover tube to the intake tube. Ok leaking pcv valve. So I made the mistake of using a purolator one which leaked new. So fed up with that I elminated the PCV valve all together. Plugged the manifold hole with a bolt. Then put the $3 fuel filters everyone uses as catch cans on the two lines from the valve cover and they vent to the air. So I do another leak test, and the damn dipstick still lifts right out of its place and air rushes out. Ok its old so its hard. So I put a little crimp in the tube to hold it in place for time being.
Take the car out after all this. Still only 7psi and as soon as I get on it a huge cloud of burning oil comes from under the car. It still is blowing out of the dipstick a little but it is also coming from what appears to be the turbo itself. I looked at the return line and it itself is dry but to the right of it the turbo itself is all oily and greasy. And also when I run a leak test I can not get any pressure to hold and I can hear air escaping from what sounds like the turbo itself. So I pose the question to you all. Do I have some sort of problem with the turbo where its leaking and continually pressurizing the crankcase as soon as there is boost?
Here is a picture of the turbo and the return line from underneath the car. Take note of all the oil to the right of the return line and above the turbo but the squeeky clean return line. Sorry about the long post but I'd like to figure out what the hell this is.

http://members.aol.com/clydefrog2112/trboleak.jpg

Heres another picture
http://members.aol.com/clydefrog2112/leak2.jpg

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
It's hard to tell from your pics where that leak is coming from, it could even be dripping down from the valve cover above. :dunno:

Question though: how did you do your leak test? The end of the intake hose to the turbo should be removed, and then the leak tester inserted on to the end of the turbo. How much PSI did you push thru the system when leak testing?

If you're only hitting 7 psi @4000 it's possible that the turbo itself is done. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the leak test by making the standard issue tester in the vfaq with a valve stem, pcv cap and hose.
I know the leak is not coming from anywhere above live the valve cover because I cleaned every inch of the engine that was visible from above the car with brake cleaner and it has stayed clean since then. The only spot oil is visible from after cleaning and driving it is either the dipstick blowing out if I get on it hard, or the oil itself from the turbo dripping down onto the downpipe. But of course the drain tube is completely dry.
After reading through older messages and looking at the vfaq on the rebuild, I'm guessing that one of the seals/shields inside the turbo is not up to par and more then likely the rest of my pressure is making its way out of the compressor housing into the atmosphere, hence the oil all over the downpipe, and into the oil line and blowing out the dipstick which requires a bit of force to remove even by hand and yielding my whopping 7psi which doesnt start building till 4000rpm. Compression was around 160 across the board when I tested it so I doubt my rings are leaking that badly to be able to build the crankcase pressure in there now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts