DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Greddy turbo timer in my 95GSX. My car has a dealer installed alarm made by Audiovox (Pursuit line) Model 9824. I used the Greddy harness, so installation was a snap BUT, when the turbo timer shuts off the car the alarm would unlock the door!

I went to an alarm shop and they fiddled with the dip switches on the alarm to turn off the auto unlocking features. The problem now is that the alarm, even though it is set for auto arming, will not arm until a door has been opened and closed.

I either have to leave my car locked and unarmed or wait for the turbo timer to shut of the engine and manually arm the alarm. AARRGH.

I saw a post on VFAQ for allowing you to arm the factory alarm while the engine is running. Does anyone know how to do this for an aftermarket alarm?

Incidentally for you NYers out there, I got the Turbo timer for $89 at Rampage Racing on Queens Blvd. They have tons of them in stock. The harness was $10.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really don't think there is a way around this. I heard that certain aftermarket alarms can have a timer installed to offset this problem but no one I know has ever done it.

------------------
NYCCDSM
97 Black GSX

·
Registered
223 Posts
>>when the turbo timer shuts off the car the alarm would unlock the door!<<

Had the exact same problem...

Actually, there is a way to wire the turbo timer to run with any aftermarket alarm system. I have it running that way on my '98 Eclipse with GReddy TT and DEI alarm. However, I have since lost the wiring diagram (my car stereo shop had done it) but I did attempt to do it on a Supra TT with HKS TT and it did work..but the alarm wouldn't reset its memory after turning on the ignition.

Don't rely on this until I can find it...but I know that it involves two capacitors of a certain range...But not sure about this, I think that they are wired in between IG1 and IG2 wires on the turbo timer harness.

I'll let you know....

~John Tran
aka Tranman
'98 Eclipse "GS"X

·
Registered
30 Posts
-I've found a way to be able to wire a circuit that WILL enable you to are the alarm system as the Turbo timer cools down the engine... Unfortunately, The ONLY Turbo Timer that has the required output is the Greddy Unit (I have attempted to use an Apex Timer, but it doesn't have the output). -All you need is one relay used in conjunction with the Greddy's gray Wire (The "Japanese use only" gray wire -Greddy Website). -It is this wire's function that enables the feature (firing the relay)... The rest is just an interruption in the primary ignition wire to the alarm (Audio Vox =Orange, 12V Ign input). -Hope this helps... I lost many hours of sleep thinking over this same problem... The whole idea is to be able to walk away from the vehicle as it cools down, yet also be locked & secured by the alarm system.

-Eben
94 Tsi "Installers do it with Strippers" AWD
California Concepts, Redwood City

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok I have a 1g and I have a Blitz TT with the DEI Viper alarm. I had the same problem. With the Viper alarm you can arm the alarm with the car running. I figured this is great. I dont have a problem. But then I tried it. I went into a store. About an hour later I come out and the alarm is not set. Nor are the doors locked. I felt like such an idiot with a sign on my car steal me. Then I started fooling around with it. I read my owners manual about all the options that the alarm can be setup with. That is when I figured it out. The alarm has to be set up for auto arming. (After the car shuts off the systems arms it 60 sec later). I called a freind who had the diections to change the options. I tried it but now the doors wouldnt lock. So I looked around and found that they had an option for auto door locking with alarm.(They never set this as a default, because if u leave the keys in the car then the alarm sets then you will get locked out.) I called him for instructions on how to do this. He highly highly highly not reccommended me doing this. THen again he said a turbo timer with a manual is a nono also. But I did it. Now I treid it and when I get out of my car I arm the alarm like I always do. The Viper alar arms it self but bypasses the motor with the turbo timer keeping the motor running. Then when the turbotimer shuts off the motor off it shuts the alarm off. Then 60 seconds later the alarm arms and the doors lock but now it will enable the stater kill. I know it isnt that safe but it is only 60 seconds without an alarm. Also I am not that handy but I hear that you can start soldering in diodes in line with certain wires to trick the alarm, but I wasnt going to start messing with the main wiring harness for my car.

------------------

·
Registered
30 Posts
-Ok all you guys, it is really easy!! -There's NO NEED for Auto Arming/ Auto locking (provided that you ALWAYS remember to arm your alarm)... It is as simple as this:
a) You NEED a Greddy Turbo Timer (why? -because it has an "active output" -basically, a wire that shows a ground when the keys have been pulled and the unit is in 'cool-down mode'). -Other TTimers may have this, but I've looked at an HKS, and an Apex TT, and either did not.
b) You buy a standard automotive relay (I prefer Bosche) -12V, 30 Amp relay
c) You wire the relay to interupt the alarm's (whatever one you got: Clifford, DEI, Audio Vox/Pursuit) Ignition feed input, ONLY when the Turbo Timer is in colling-off mode... The circuit is VERY similar to a "Starter-Kill" relay setup, however, you want to use "True" Ignition both to fire the relay (coil side #85)and be connected to the "Normally Closed #87a" position. -The greddy's Gray wire goes to the other coil side (coil side #86). Relay position #87 stays open (no connection). And finally, position #30 (output) goes to the alarm (creating a 'secondary'Ignition feed). -This way, you can retain the functionality of the valet switch/buttom (alarm depending)-ONLY when the keys are in it (IGN #1)... and, (IGN#2) the alarm 'sees' no igniton input(while the car is cooling off), thus allowing you to arm the alarm, AND keeps ALL of your alarms sensors active, (wich you might have to adjust to ensure that the engine running/dieing doesn't trigger the alarm's impact sensor) AND allow you to walk away with everything locked up and secured durring the cooling off duration of the TTimer. -This same idea can also be accomplished just by disconnecting the alarm's Ignition feed input, however, you will need to reconnect it to enter valet mode and/or programming mode (a ROYAL PITA if your alarm system was installed with a 'Starter-Kill' feature, and the remote's battery dies, leaving you crawling under your dashboard). -I hope this clears up all of this confusion... Auto arming -Hah!! -That feature is nothing but "training wheels" for those new to the Auto Security industry, not to mention, a real noise maker at the gas station (I know that you know what I'm talking about).
-Eben
California Concepts
94 Tsi "Installers do it with Strippers"
(with integrated alarm, turbo timer, AND REMOTE start -Just don't ask how, but know this, it took another 8 relays to do it, for a total of NINE relays)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot Eben. I'll do it this weekend.

------------------
95GSX

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok Eben that seems to work but you seem to be an installer am I correct. I have no experince besides installing a new headunit in my cars and that is so easy a monkey could do it. But hey if it works go for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alrighty guys what'd yah think? -Worked good huh? -Notice that you can ever get into valet/programming modes (alarm depending) via the physical key... No cap's or diodes, just a simple relay...
-Now for the follow-up:
* More "Advanced" alarms have other features that will have integrated nicely More specifically, Ignition controlled and RPM controlled door locking options now will work differently because of this relay integration, so some programming of the alarm may be required (again, alarm depending). -But all you Clifford users (G2& G3)will not have any problem. -Lemme know

·
Registered
39 Posts
How would the HKS or GReddy Turbo Timers affect the factory alarm on a 98 GST? I just bought my first DSM and had plans to install a TT. Also, are there any symptoms of "coking" the bearings in a Turbo?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't get around to installing the relay last weekend. I'll do it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works.

For the factory alarm, there is faq on how to setup a HKS turbo timer to work with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post but I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer. Will the above install link with the HKS TT work with a GReddy TT? I'm referring to the factory alarm rewire part. I've got the unit mounted and working, now I just need a way to get the factory alarm armed while it counts down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found plenty of info on how to wire up an aftermarket alarm with one but no one who has definately said the rewire from the faq above works with the GReddy unit. I guess there's only one way to find out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts