DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question about turbo'd cars and cold weather in general. Up here in Fort Collins, during the winter mornings it can be pretty cold. The majority of the driving I do is ~5 mile jaunts to class and back, so for the most part, the car often doesn't even get fully warmed up before it's back to sitting in the parking lot again until class is over.
For this kind of short-duration, cold weather driving, are there special considerations to make on a turbo'd car? i.e, should one take more care to warm up the car before driving it, and perhaps run thinner weight oil in the winter to ensure it's moving through the turbo enough? A guy from Vortech (superchargers) suggested that to me once in a different context.

any help/knowledge etc. appreciated!

-Jake
'97 GSX soon!

·
Registered
871 Posts
yes my recommendation is run a thinner oil in the winter as opposed to summer. i run mobil-1 15w40(red cap) in the summer and mobil-1 10w40(green cap) in the winter.
i use the rule that i let it warm up as long as i let it cool down, and even then i wont boost untill it is up to full operating temp.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Hey JakeL from Colorado,
You're on the right track and 4npower is correct. I'm sure that the nice boost controllers out there compensate for temp. in some way. Right now I'm running a bleeder valve to increase boost. If you up the boost using this method you must be careful. If you set it on an 80 degree day, you'll be running alot of boost on those cold mornings. I set mine on a cool evening (45 degrees)to about 17psi, and on a hot summer day I seem to get about 14-15 psi. As you can see, I need a real boost controller. SOON.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, the both of you. It seemed like about the right way to go - I didn't figure a turbo car should be that much different than a N/A one.

Where's Pine, CO at?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Well...Pine, Colorado is about 45 miles southwest of Denver and another 3,000 ft. straight up (lol) in the mountains on US285 (an awesome little roadracing road, I've heard.) Remember the Hi-meadow fire earlier this summer. That was me, an evacuee. Fortunately, my car was at a friends house. I was painting it at the time.
Good luck with your car!
BTW, This is the BEST place to find answers to any questions you may have.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts