DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get the topic pun? Good.

1999 Eclipse GS

Okay, anyways, here's my problem. My car overheats, seemingly about every two weeks. At first my radiator cap was leaking fluid, replaced it and added fluid and it was fine. Then it overheated again two weeks later and had low fluid, so I replaced the (bad)thermostat and added more fluid. Today it was low on fluid and overheating again. I added more fluid, it didn't help. I just put fluid into the overflow and now it seems to be running fine.

However, I'm irritated. I don't SEE any leaking, and I want to know where the fluid can be going and why filling up the overflow would keep my car from overheating.

Help :x

·
Banned
158 Posts
if you don't see it leaking anywhere it would almost have to be the head gasket. The antifreeze is either going into the combustion chamber and burning, or going into your oil . Also check your passenger floor board for moisture, a bad heater core could cause coolent leak also.

·
Banned
279 Posts
Your overflow tank is useful because it catches coolant you don't need and adds coolant when you do need it. If you car was "thirsty" and there was nothing in the overflow tank, it sucks in air, causing air bubbles and overheating.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
You are probably burning coolant somewhere. HG leak or an external leak in a line somewhere. Are you leaving any puddles or smelly that sweet coolant burning smell at any time?

A compression test sounds like it is in order after heating the car up so many times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts