DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, upon daylight inspection.....i missed a belt apparently. the A/C compressor is in such a strange place on this car as compared to my domestic V8's i overlooked it. there is no longer a belt on the A/C compressor. i noticed this when i went to drive it and the A/C didn't blow any cold air at all. when i finally found the A/C compressor i saw that the belt was gone. is there anything else critical hooked to this belt? it looked like just the A/C compressor and a small pulley that didn't do anything but spin the belt. LMK on that for sure. as for the compressor, i can spin the pulley on it rather easily and it spins freely.....but not a lot. just as far as i push it, then a little more. does that mean the compressor is OK and the belt just was worn or got something (the oil pressure unit) caught up in it? i am not sure if compressors seize up when bad. i know my alternator seized up on me and this didn't seem like it seized, and it does spin. i am not sure on what is the best way, short of the new belt, to know if the compressor is shot. i figure to have a belt thrown on down at goodyear tommorow since i am not familiar with this setup and would rather have someone look at the compressor too. but any info would be appreciated on what i can look at myself. thanks.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
if your belt is off then it most likely snagged one of the wires going to your sending units. happened to me too.

i would assume that you'll simply need to rewire or at least re-connect the two sending units. as far as the belt goes it shouldn't be too hard to get to yourself. the small pulley that isn't attached to anything is the tensioner pulley. you may need to replace the other belts while you're at it. the easiest way to get to these is to jackup the driver's side of the engine with a nice board on the bottom of the oil pan and then remove the driver's side engine mount. after that you'll simply need to remove each belt until you can get to the one you need to.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so since it spins freely....probably looking at a belt that was old, or got snagged up on the wiring? i sure hope so, those compressors are expensive on my TA.....like a grand or more. not sure about these here mitsu's though.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
yea i tossed my alternator belt and it snagged the wire on its way out the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check your PM's, my cell phone number is in there. You can stop buy, and see the trouble I've been having..... hehe.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xanaduce said:
Check your PM's, my cell phone number is in there. You can stop buy, and see the trouble I've been having..... hehe.
alright, but as for the belt.......i may just have it done at goodyear if they give me a fair price for it. looks like a PITA. :D i do need to install that oil pressure gauge now, like you said you were doing. both of us with lit up oil gauges on the pillar and no readout. lol. posers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not even, all my pillar is functional I have the daul mount gauge bezel. The one that goes near your factory readouts. I still don't have it installed, but I though a number would be better then the factory ordeal. I wouldnt' waiste the money to have anyone do it for you, I'll even help wiht that, unless your trying to have it mes up, and let them keep fixing it..... heh:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts