DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back when "15-20 years ago" I modded my 90' Talon TSI. Then bought an 06' WRX new, and parked the Talon in the garage. I still have the stone stock WRX, 100k miles, and want to keep it a driver. The Talon, I feel is more "mod friendly", and parts are cheaper. Besides they are getting rarer all the time.
My car has: high-quality full stainless exhaust, ported exhaust housing with a big flapper, 2g exhaust manifold, FP big 16g turbo.
Supra mkiv side mount intercooler, 2-1/2" intake piping, hogged out 1g maf, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 550"s, centerforce clutch, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I controlled this with an APEXI, and logged with a palm pilot.
It still has 145 lb's compression on all cylinders.
I,m certain that the question I'm about to ask has been asked ad-nauseum, but I'll ask anyways
What is my best path to 350 WHP? I don't intend to race.
The car ran good, but was limited to about 18 psi on pump premium.
My specs are: old guy, lots of mechanic work done, a nice shop, lots of tools, and enough money.
But, I want to spend that money wisely.
Bigger turbo recommendation?
Is Supra sidemount adequate? "shorter pulls than 1/4 mile"
Injectors?
GM MAF?
Control system? Old APEXI is not happening.
Again, I've been out of the loop for a long time.
Any input will be much appreciated.

· Registered
610 Posts
Way back when "15-20 years ago" I modded my 90' Talon TSI. Then bought an 06' WRX new, and parked the Talon in the garage. I still have the stone stock WRX, 100k miles, and want to keep it a driver. The Talon, I feel is more "mod friendly", and parts are cheaper. Besides they are getting rarer all the time.
My car has: high-quality full stainless exhaust, ported exhaust housing with a big flapper, 2g exhaust manifold, FP big 16g turbo.
Supra mkiv side mount intercooler, 2-1/2" intake piping, hogged out 1g maf, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 550"s, centerforce clutch, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I controlled this with an APEXI, and logged with a palm pilot.
It still has 145 lb's compression on all cylinders.
I,m certain that the question I'm about to ask has been asked ad-nauseum, but I'll ask anyways
What is my best path to 350 WHP? I don't intend to race.
The car ran good, but was limited to about 18 psi on pump premium.
My specs are: old guy, lots of mechanic work done, a nice shop, lots of tools, and enough money.
But, I want to spend that money wisely.
Bigger turbo recommendation?
Is Supra sidemount adequate? "shorter pulls than 1/4 mile"
Injectors?
GM MAF?
Control system? Old APEXI is not happening.
Again, I've been out of the loop for a long time.
Any input will be much appreciated.
Your story is similar to mine. Bought my 95 GSX in about 2002, blew it up in 2005, let it sit for about 15 years and I'm just rebuilding it now, so it has lots of parts on it from the way things were done 15-20 years ago (I've got a Supra sidemount as well! And also a palm pilot somewhere...).

I'm also dusty, and more familiar w/ the 2g than 1g, but from what you've posted I think you've got everything you need for 350WHP if you tune it right (i.e., ditch the Apexi). I believe the record on a pump E316g (which I believe is just slightly bigger than the FP big 16g?) is about 400WHP. This is really pushing the limits - ragged edge of detonation and pushing the turbo way outside of it's efficiency range, all supporting mods, etc. - but 50WHP less should be OK with what you've got.

IIRC Supra SM is good for 400WHP if you're not dependent on it for really high boost, hot days or road course work (should be fine for the street and/or 1/4 mile passes). FMIC would make tuning easier but it's not critical. Also I'd note that there's cheap FMIC kits available now for a few hundred buck, but not necessary if you want to save your money. I'm hanging onto mine with a Bastard 20g and 2.3L until it becomes a limiting factor.

550's also OK for 350WHP at the stock 37PSI 1g fuel pressure, though the injectors would be a bit happier at the 2g 43PSI if raise it accordingly with your AFPR.

You don't need a GM MAF for those numbers; a 2g will do it for you. Here's a thread here:

Honestly I'd say just get ECMLink, a 2g MAF and you should be able to have the car tuned for 350WHP easily.

Also just an FYI, a lot has changed (generally speaking) in the last 15-20 years. Initially people moved from DSMTalk to DSMTuners (might have better luck with the latter). Then people moved to Facebook which completely sucks as has just become a place for people to shit-post about others, and digging up old info is a nightmare. I honestly hope people start to drop off Facebook and go back to the forums...

Good luck!

· Registered
610 Posts
It's a custom setup made by "Jus" of "JusTurbos", or JusMX141 on DSMTuners. His description:

"The housings of a knockoff with everything that made the older 68HTA so wonderful, basically. It's a Chinese 16G that had everything thrown away except the compressor cover (which has been machined), turbine housing, and actuator. I built a completely-new CHRA (can't use the Chinese bearing housing because the MHI parts won't fit) and installed the upgraded thrust parts along with a KTS D620C billet 6-blade 20G compressor and a Kamak/Kinugawa 9-blade TD05H turbine.

A friend is running this very wheelset at around 26psi on the stock cams and has logged an accurate 43 lb/min on E85 so there's plenty of room to get up into the 47-48 lb/min range with the addition of cams and a higher boost level or more-aggressive tuning and supporting mods than he's using."

A (billet) 20g compressor in a 16G compressor cover. The benefits over a straight 20G is that it uses a J-pipe like a 14B/16G, etc. I wanted something that was a plug-and-play replacement for my 14B when I was dropping in my new 2.3L 6-bolt. However, I haven't run it yet...

Out of curiosity I'm going to see if I can get 400whp out of the Supra SMIC with this. I reckon it will be a decent setup for road-course work as the side-mount will leave the radiator open for optimal cooling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts