DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I basically as of a week ago ran into problems with white smoke starting to pour out of my exhaust. I know what you're thinking, coolant leak, but I check the coolant levels and the color and it seems to be fine. I then noticed that I was burning a lot of oil. Oil leak seems to be the problem.. but where. I checked everywhere outside the engine including all the oil lines and any possible source for oil but it seemed ok. I'm starting to think it's something internal to the engine.. dammit!. Well my thing is this.. I got a pocketlogger a couple days ago and to be honest.. don't really know much about what I'm looking at in terms of the values. I have a t3/t4, warlboro 255lp fuel pump, denso 660s, and an safc recently installed just to bring you all up to speed. I was wondering if anyone could give me normal values for some parameters such as: short term fuel trim(1 and 2); timing, o2(1 and 2) bank (1 and 2), and o2 trim (1 and 2) bank (1 and 2). my o2 voltages seem to fluctuate between .04 and .98V. my timing between 6 and 30 degrees.. Phew.. that's a lot to say.. I appreciate anyone who would have anything to add..

:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
When turbos go.... they GO oil gets blown past the seals and is burned fairly fast cause thick smoke and fast oil consumption... sounds like ya cooked your turbo.

·
Registered
475 Posts
my turbo burns oil and has shaft play, but it still works and builds boost

oh well, when it finally craps out i have an excuse to get a b28 killer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have a Air Fuel Monitor... Generally people start to play with the values and run it lean without monitoring this cause tons of hea if its leaned out... I have seen holes burned through pistons.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
Whew, sounds like you did a whole lot of modding before you did much learning about the cars. No offense. It is just alot easier to learn as you go then it is to throw a bunch of money at the car and then wonder what the hell is wrong with it down the road.

Most of the values are going to be slightly different between cars due to the state of tune and or modifications. None will tell you if the motor is hurt.

O2 trims will bounce back and forth when in closed loop operation (ECU controlled to maintain a stoichiometric mixture) and is normal. When under WOT the front O2 sensor will steady itself and give you an approximation of your a/f ratio. Most cars are pretty safe in the .94 area. A lower number is leaner....which you hope not to see for now. The rear O2 bank is just telling the computer whether or not the catalytic convertor is working correctly.

For a 2G you want your fuel trims as close to 0% as possible. If you are adding too much fuel at idle becuase of the large injectors and the wrong afc settings in the low map you will see 1%+. If this is the case you need to subtract a little fuel in the low map of the AFC. -1%and lower is the opposite. Just a basic run down but it should give you the general idea.

Timing under a good state of tune will drop to around 12* and rise steadily to around 20* or a little more with no plateaus or dips. Dips mean knock. On a 2G where you can't monitor knock sums like a 1G you watch timing to help you tune around knock for optimal timing advance. Timing will also vary when under cruising or idle situations.

If you are unsure of anything just ask.

Moving to Gen Tech.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for offering advice on this situation. I actually had saved up for a while to add the mods.. so it wasn't a sudden thing.. I am learing as I'm modding, so it's hard to find people who know "everything" about dsms. Thanks a lot though Greenstreak for the reply. I think I'll have to look into reading the values again. I'ma try and get this things over and done with this weekend so I'll keep you all posted..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts