DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new cap for the valve cover and put it on, but there was still a small amount of oil leaking out so I doubled up on the gaskets as many people say and that worked. There is a crack in the valve cover, which is causing a leak. Now I see a hole in the valve cover and I believe oil is leaking from there too. I'm not sure if this hole is supposed to be here or not. I put some silver tape on the crack and on the hole and there was barely any oil. I poke a hole in the tape where the hole is and there was more of a leak. Is the hole supposed to be there? I would think not. I'm planning on using some jb weld for atleast a temporary solution. I took a picture of the crack and the hole.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't sure if oil was coming out of that hole or not, but the leak seemed to be worse when it was exposed. I just put some jb weld on the crack. Just in case there is any confusion, the hole I'm refering to is in the first picture, the second picture is to show the crack.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4g64fiero said:
Bwahaha I thought the same thing when I first noticed those holes on my valve cover back in the day.
I'm not refering to the five holes on the top area of the cover, like the one that can be seen in the second picture. I'm refering to that one small hole in the first picture. Were you refering to those 5 holes on the top or the small one in the first picture, I'm asking because you said "holes" and there is only one I am refering to.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That looks like a crack to me! Who ever put the cover on didn't use a torque wrench:tat: THEM! Otherwise for the oil cap the only way to go is with a real mitsu cap and gasket, any cheap aftermarket cap that I have tryed leaked, now with the oem mitsu cap/gasket no leak.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm surprised one has told him yet..

That hole goes straight through to the front side of the valve cover. Its like a drain for any oil build up on top of the cover. And for those of you that have noticed the hole but never knew what it is, now you do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil gasket is doubled up and works great, crack is jb welded and currently drying, and b-morr just answered what I really wanted to know. I can't believe I didn't see that the hole goes all the way through:chair: . Problem solved. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard very good things about jb weld and its ability to fix valve covers, at least temporarily. Hopefully it will hold up for a while, but yea I eventually plan on getting another one off of ebay.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Jb weld won't hold as I have tried it myself. The pressure that builds inside that valve cover will eventually come through with oil. To get a really good clean use of JB weld, clean the paint off that area and then apply JB weld. Let sit overnight and pray it holds. I would just get a new cover....thats what I ended up doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.