DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Ive been around here long enough to make a vfaq. I feel obligated at this point. Here goes. I hope this hasnt been done before.

Well I bought a QM Twin disk and needed to tranfer my ring gear from my stock flywheel to the QuarterMaster flywheel. Some of you may have thought that they didnt even come off. Surprise, they do! Im going to show you how.

First off, you are going to want to knock off any heavy grease or garbage off the OEM flywheel. They can get pretty nasty, and you dont want that stuff burning up in your oven.

Once you have cleaned it up a bit, preheat you SPARE oven (I have a kitchen oven in my garage that I use for powder coating and now this), to 500 degrees, On the bake setting of course. It will probably take about 15 to 20 minutes to preheat, depending on what kind of oven you have (mine is electric BTW).

Once the oven is preheated, slide the stock flywheel onto one of the racks and close the door. Let it bake for about 20-25 mins or so.

While your flywheel is cooking in the oven, place your QuarterMaster flywheel in the freezer. Thats right! The freezer. Let it sit under some frozen veggies or a nice steak of your choice for about 20-25 minutes.

What you are trying to accomplish here is heating up the stock setup as much as you can to allow the metal to soften and expand. At which point, the ring gear should come off without much of a fuss.

By putting the QM flywheel into the freezer, you cause it to contract. Which in theory, once you lay the HOT ring gear on the back of the COLD QM flywheel, it will effortlessly drop into place. Once the two metals start to come back to ambient temperature, the ring gear will be one with the flywheel.

OK, so now we have both our parts in their places. Pull the OEM flywheel out of the oven and by using a dead blow hammer and a pry bar, I was easily able to pop the ring gear off by working my way around it.

Once the ring gear is off, pop it back in the oven while you go grab your new flywheel out of the ice box. Lay the new QM flywheel on the work bench and then run for the ring gear that is in the oven. Orient the teeth on the gear properly with the right side of the flywheel and drop it on. It should go on effortlessly.

Presto! You're ready to rock!

*I had to toss it back in the oven to warm it up again and I went around the perimeter with the dead blow and made sure it was seated properly.*

Thanks guys, I hope this wasnt all for not and it will help someone down the road.

GOOD LUCK!

-Justin
-gota0have0boost

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Could have easily done it with nudes but I am sure this will work :D

Will be useful for when I upgrade, again.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Very nice write-up. This is how it should be done kids.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This was a great tutorial! I used this trick today, and it worked like a charm! Sorry to bring up old stuff, but this was a very informative VFAQ! I was lost, and this made things very easy!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn't have an oven, so I did mine with a MAP Gas torch from home depot. Worked very good also.

Another tip is to mark the ring gear so you don't install it backwards on the new flywheel. I also tack welded the gear in several spots for insurance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Reminds me of last year at the shootout. I got a flywheel with no ring gear, and an ex cronie of mine got an Act that was for a 7-bolt and he had a 6. We managed to get the ring gear off his stocker, threw my flywheel in the cooler for 45 min or so, heated up the ring gear on someones exhaust manifold, and used a brick to tap it on. If such person wouldnt have been a complete dick to me when it came time to leave, I may have been able to tell you if it held up, but Ive never seen him or spoken to him again..

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Nice write up. I obviously can't put it on Vfaq.com but I will put it into our tech articles. By the way, did you take a pot pie break?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.