DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Code:
Im not sure what the problem is and I have looked all over the engine and nothing seems wrong. I have no mods on my car and its an auto 1994 ES. When im actually driving there is no vibration but when im stopped and the car is in gear it shakes so bad that my keys rattle violentlya long with the entire dash. I have prothane mounts but it did this before I had the mounts jsut not as bad. Any ideas?
edit: Its only below 1500 rpm. But around 1200 rpm it doesnt vibrate either. And its a lot worse when the engine is completely cool

·
Registered
284 Posts
Possibe engine misfire at idle? Does the engine hesitate under acceleration? Maybe try letting the engine idle, and unplug one injector at a time. See if the vibration doesn't get worse if any of the 4 injectors are disabled.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I know of, unless it has been doing it for a while. Good suggestion though, I will have to try that tomorrow. At this point I will try anything!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
It could be one of the injectors being bad or clogged or the connection isn't good. My mom's subaru legacy did almost the exact same thing as your symtoms. I would check that. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
284 Posts
That way, you can at least eliminate a misfire as a cause. Other things to maybe check:

1) Watch for a wobbly harmonic balancer. The rubber can deteriorate and cause the outer pulley to walk off center.

2) Has the timing belt been done lately? maybe the balance shaft belt broke.

3) Check for component grounding. This is when a component with an un-isolated mount to the engine contacts the body or frame (exhaust system component, etc).

....just a few suggestions.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New harmonic balancer and timing belt. Its nothing with the actual engine that I can visually see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ambico said:
Would I notice it at high rpms?

It's possible, my mom's car did it at around 2000-2500 rpm's and also crusing 50-55 it would jerk like it was miss firing. Ran the code off of the ecu ( no check engine light was on ) and it said it was the fuel injector #4.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I dont notice it but i guess that might explain the random misfires on a cold start up at low rpms.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did the problem start right after the timing belt replacement? Maybe a balance shaft is 180 off? Like injekt said, I would start with at least checking connections.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it just seems to have gotten worse over time. Only possibility is that the balance is 180 off. But I redid the timing twice to make sure it was correct. And I dont feel like taking it off again because I might end up messing something up. But definitly will be checking the wires to the injectors.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im guessing my timing is 180 off. I dont recall looking at the balance sprocket when i timed it. Looks like I know what im doing saturday afternoon :D
And its not the injectors. When I unplug one I see a huge change.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ambico said:
Im guessing my timing is 180 off. I dont recall looking at the balance sprocket when i timed it. Looks like I know what im doing saturday afternoon :D
And its not the injectors. When I unplug one I see a huge change.
When checking the balance shaft/timing belt, there is a procedure for lining up the balance shafts. If I recall, there is a plug on the side of the block that must be removed. you insert a screwdriver to see where the balance shaft is oriented when aligning what I remember is the oil pump drive sprocket (It's been a while since I've done one, so check out vfaq or a manual for specifics). Also, did you unplug ALL of the injectors one at a time to see if there is a change? Unplugging just one injector will only tell you if it's that specific cylinder.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was gonna say balance shafts off, or the belt broke and you didnt know it (it happens). Somewhere probably vfaq has the instructions to timing the b/s belts. Many people get them wrong, all it takes is a wrench and a screwdriver, pull that odd bolt off the back of the block. I say odd because you will see its not really doing anything, its a plug. You have to spin the sprocket a while until the screw driver goes further in or something, check the faq on it I haven't had balance shafts in a long time.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It shouldn't balance shaft belt being broken, he would see that, and vibrations wouldn't be that bad. Maybe the balance shaft wasn't put in properly.

No one suggested checking plug wires. Check those as well. You can do the same basic thing as with the injectors. Also, examine each wire carefully for small holes. It could be arcing against something. Not likely, as you'd prolly hear the snap, but something to look into...and hey, it doesn't cost anything!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I say balance shaft belt, because of a really bad day I had when selling one of my dsm's...long story short balance shaft broke, kid kept racing around broke the car (as in sheared the flywheel bolts off) and left me with his civic :/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts