DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving to work today i got a weird feeling in my tranny. clutch pedal felt bumpy, car vibrated ALOT after 3000rpms, and VERY sluggish in 1st & 2nd. i dunno what the problem is. i also have a coolant leak on my coolant return lines. its leaking on the bellhousing. dunno if that may escalate things.

it was raining like crazy and i went through a pretty big puddle. then down the highway at a stop light i noticed the vibration. it doesnt make the vibration when the car isnt in gear only when its rolling.

im getting so damn frustrated with this car. i swear im on the verge of getting pissed off enough to trade it in on something that i know will not have a new problem everyday.i can handle something breaking every couple weeks or months but when i havent been racing it ive been just driving to and from work and friends houses and it breaks its rediculous. DAMN YOU MITSU!

ok there i feel better.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,281 Posts
Maybe your Nike visor got caught between the clutch pedal and the floor :confused: :)

But seriously, I feel your pain...I put up with the same thing all the time. But then I fix it and I drive it and start liking the car again. Anyway, when my clutch was starting to go a while back, I was getting a strange vibration along with the clutch not engaging all the way....I never really did figure out what it was. How new is the clutch/pressure plate/TOB in your car?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as i know its prolly the original eqiupment. im pretty much bracing myself for the clutch job.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how should my timing marks line up? i checked it and i thought they should be facing each other. but they are setup like they are the same on each one. both facing toward the front of the engine bay. they are damn near at the same spot but i cant entirely tell.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jim are you telling me this could be my problem?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now way your 180 degrees off on the exhuast cam and only feeling a little vibration. There are more notches on the sprokets then the base marks. The two marks should be facing each other at the top of the head(not valve cover) and both cams sprocket keys(next to the cam sprocket bolts) will be pointing up.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,281 Posts
dantheman said:
jim are you telling me this could be my problem?
If your timing is off, the motor will stutter and miss and basically run like crap, the severity of it increasing with each tooth you are off.

If the car is running OK, but still giving you a weird vibration, you might want to check the balance shafts. If one of them is bad, or the belt is broken :eek: or out of phase, then you will get a semi-nasty vibration in the higher RPM range.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was assuming it was the balance shaft. is there any downside of the balance shaft remover kit? and will driving it with a messed up balance shaft or balance shaft belt hurt it? cause i have to goto school and work.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,281 Posts
dantheman said:
well i was assuming it was the balance shaft. is there any downside of the balance shaft remover kit? and will driving it with a messed up balance shaft or balance shaft belt hurt it? cause i have to goto school and work.
I wouldn't remove the balance shafts if the car is going to be your daily driver, unless you like that constant, annoying vibration ;). When my balance shaft belt broke, it got caught in the oil pump pulley and caused my timing belt to skip 4 teeth :eeek:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i hauled it to a local shop. he is gunna take a look at it in a little while. hopefully its the balance shafts. if its crankwalk i will be pissed but. ill deal with it. well i will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
309 Posts
damnslowtalon said:

If your timing is off, the motor will stutter and miss and basically run like crap, the severity of it increasing with each tooth you are off.

If the car is running OK, but still giving you a weird vibration, you might want to check the balance shafts. If one of them is bad, or the belt is broken :eek: or out of phase, then you will get a semi-nasty vibration in the higher RPM range.
Just finished my timing belt change on my Talon. Don't know who did it last time cause I am the new owner but after the change my mysterious missing at idle went away :)

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
damnslowtalon said:
I wouldn't remove the balance shafts if the car is going to be your daily driver, unless you like that constant, annoying vibration ;).
What vibration? heheh... I think it's worth it to get the stupid shafts out of there. Keep things nice and simple under the t-belt cover. You can't even tell the shafts are out on mine anyway, but it really varies from car to car.

Your belt skipped 4 teeth because of a bal shaft belt, and you still have the shafts in there? :confused: My rear bal shaft is now a garage ornament!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
over at the machv forums they seem to say check the motor/tranny mounts, and axles. this seem reasonable to you guys?

·
Registered
332 Posts
i'd say its the bs belt i had the same problem and when i tore it down today the belt was broke, If i were you I'd take them out because mine went after 5000 miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts