DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a vpc with 550 injectors, i was wondering what would it better to use with the vpc, the GCC or Super AFC. Some people tell me that the Afc is more effective, but i want more feedback,
thank you

·
Registered
84 Posts
The VPC with the AFC was the way I went, even with the OLD super AFC you had a wider range of tuneability than you did with the GCC. And now, the new AFC is even more tunable than the old one!

Personally I prefer the old style super AFC to the new one for one simple reason. With the new one, if you lose power (dead battery, whatever) you lose ALL your setings and have to reprogram it! The old one is knobs that don't move if the battery goes dead :)

Keith

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Are you sure? I thought the settings were stored in some sort Flash RAM or SVRAM inside the Super AFC. I have disconnected my battery many times and even unhooked the Super AFC from its harness, and it retains its settings.

·
Registered
350 Posts
yup wont reset if removed from teh battery for a while. If taken off long it will though. at least mine has. I mean like 3 weeks

------------------

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey I talked to Raod/Race and I told him I may be using injectors bigger than 550's, and that obviously there is no chip for injectors bigger than 550's. He said use the VPC with the AFC... he said they don't recommend the GCC at all... even if you have 550 injectors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
kind of off the subject but i had my afc unhooked for at "LEAST" 3 months and then plugged it in and it still retained all the settings

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm currently running a VPC with the GCC and I am switching to an SAFC. The gcc just doesn't have the range of adjustment necessary. It's the -12% that really kills you.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
AWDMIKE858 said:
Hey I talked to Raod/Race and I told him I may be using injectors bigger than 550's, and that obviously there is no chip for injectors bigger than 550's. He said use the VPC with the AFC... he said they don't recommend the GCC at all... even if you have 550 injectors. Hope this helps.
Are you sure RR told you that? I have 660 chip on my VPC. The chip is not from HKS tho.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yup, it store the setting in either EEPROM or FLASH memory that is non-volatile. You can disconnect the S-AFC and it wont lose the settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SnoBlind,
Is it hard to install the gcc to work with the vpc? I have recently acquired a gcc but it has yet to arrive to me. In the pictures, it looks like there is a wiring harness similar to the vpc. I was under the impression that the gcc plugs into the empty harness on the vpc and that's it. unfortunately i won't have any instructions for the install so any guidance u can provide would be great. thx~

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jthai said:
SnoBlind,
Is it hard to install the gcc to work with the vpc? I have recently acquired a gcc but it has yet to arrive to me. In the pictures, it looks like there is a wiring harness similar to the vpc. I was under the impression that the gcc plugs into the empty harness on the vpc and that's it. unfortunately i won't have any instructions for the install so any guidance u can provide would be great. thx~

Yeah it plugs right in to the vpc harness, very easy.

Look at what Bushcur is using in his cars, that should speak for itself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jthai said:
SnoBlind,
You just plug it in. There are three connectors on the back of the VPC: VPC Harness, GCC, and F-Con. The connectors are shaped so you can't plug the wrong ones in.

I'm now running a SAFC with my VPC and it seems to be working better. I just put it in on Sunday, so I need to play with it some more. I was able to get my idle leaned out enough to get my low fuel trim to be around 100%. I wasn't able to do that with the GCC. I just couldn't get enough adjustablilty with the GCC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I actually have an MR2 not a dsm...if u don't mind :D I've always had a lot of respect for dsm's which is why i lurk here reading some of your posts. I'm sticking with the stock turbo for now and looking for around 250-280whp. Since I got the gcc for cheap, it's perfect for some conservative tuning. I have a couple more questions if it's cool.

1. Are you supposed to leave the vpc at 12oclock position and tune with the gcc only once it's installed or can u still adjust the vpc settings? For example, if I set the gain knob on the vpc to -2% lean, will that set the base adjustment for the gcc at -2% lean? So if I then adjust a gcc knob lean one notch it will then become 4% lean?

2. How do you guys use your respone setting on the vpc? From what I understand it richens the powerband at low rpm and leans it out at high rpm. Or does it have more to do with throttle response?

Thanks again everyone. Not many mr2 enthusiasts use the vpc so it's hard to get some responses on that board ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jthai said:
1. Are you supposed to leave the vpc at 12oclock position and tune with the gcc only once it's installed or can u still adjust the vpc settings? For example, if I set the gain knob on the vpc to -2% lean, will that set the base adjustment for the gcc at -2% lean? So if I then adjust a gcc knob lean one notch it will then become 4% lean?
you are correct. Most likely you will not be able to just leave the vpc at 12 o'clock. The GCC doesn't allow enough adjustment to do that. You will have to find the balance that you are looking for to determine where the vpc will be set. You'll more than likely need to figure out one setting for just crusing around and another for hard driving.

2. How do you guys use your respone setting on the vpc? From what I understand it richens the powerband at low rpm and leans it out at high rpm. Or does it have more to do with throttle response?
It has to do with throttle response. If you have it turned to the left, it will take out fuel when you apply the throttle and add fuel when you let off the throttle. If it's turned to the right it will add fuel when you apply the throttle and take out fuel when you let off of the throttle. You can see the affects yourself. When I have it turned to the left, the car hesitates when I apply the throttle at idle. Turned to the right it doesn't.

I can't say how it will affect an MR2, but this is what it does on a DSM.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea I get hesitation also when the response is to the left. The question is how many notches to the right is best? ;) Currently mine is at 3 notches. Thanks for all the help Snoblind~

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jthai said:
Yea I get hesitation also when the response is to the left. The question is how many notches to the right is best? ;) Currently mine is at 3 notches. Thanks for all the help Snoblind~

I know every car is different, but when I sent my vpc to get the chip changed by Buschur, Tym set it up with the responce all the way to the right as far as it would go. I tuned the vpc for awhile and found that to be the best setting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
are you driving a 1stgen or 2ndgen ,cause if your driving 2ndgen 550 chip is the biggest one that you could go for some reason most of this shop that im calling told me they are not selling chip bigger than 550`s but if you driving 1stgen need bigger injector chip call road race.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here's another alternative if you haven't thought about it yet, and its abouuuuuuuuuuut the same price of the AFC, take a look at the Greddy E-manage. Here's an address where you can read up on it:

http://www.mkiv.com/tmp/emanage

I just thought I'd throw that in there so you don't just limit yourself to two options.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts