DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a first gen Turbo/AWD eclipse or talon. I want a great handling high 11sec ride for about 10K U.S. It will be my daily driver eventually.

What is a good starting point as far as buying one of these, such as price and condition?

What are the 11sec recipies for these cars (while remaining streetable?

Can you put a good ammount of boost on a stock turbo engine?

I heard you can go fast for less money with these cars compared to most anyting. That is why I am interested.

I plan on finishing my 65 mustang this fall. I want to get a DSM after that. It will be my dd when it is finished.

The stang will run in the 1/4 in high 11s or low 12s and is a handling car (well, for a 60s car it is :p). It is a cruiser and a weekend car that will see little track time. It will just look pretty and kick most cars ass when it is on the road. Too much damn $$ though.

It is not my race car, so I need one and pretend it is my DD.

I am open to all comments and advice on combos or anything.

I think some members of this net went to stangnet.com and messed with the SVT guys. Ha Ha. That was funny.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow, you have a ton of information already available to you all over the net. Most bigger performance shops have their upgrade paths on their web sites. Before you start modding the 1G you are going to have to do some regular maintanence. Make sure the car works and runs fine before modding the piss out of it. if you can get a 1G with a 4bolt rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any links to reputable companies that you deal with?

I should get a running car? How far can you mod a stock turbo block with about 90K miles (avg)? Should I rebuild the engine if I put a bigger turbo on it, or will the stocker be OK? How much is a rebuild roughly?

I was thinking shell, new engine, etc for a HONDA build, but for a DSM build, that makes sense.

Thanks.

Any specific years or models to buy for a 1G DSM AWD/Turbo?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You want a great handling, high 11sec, daily driver for $10K?

I want a blond girl, 5'5", perky breasts, a nice ass, and long legs who likes to be naked to come live in my house with me and my wife.

Neither one of us are going to get what we want, though.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Michael said:
You want a great handling, high 11sec, daily driver for $10K?

I want a blond girl, 5'5", perky breasts, a nice ass, and long legs who likes to be naked to come live in my house with me and my wife.

Neither one of us are going to get what we want, though.
If you start with a good/cheap car it is definetly possible. The hard part is you have to really know what you're doing. No one does their first time around, no matter how much they research. Some things just come from personal experience.

On a 6 bolt engine you can run 11s with no internal work, no problem. The larger rods can handle a LOT more power than most think.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Nick 92 TSi AWD said:

If you start with a good/cheap car it is definetly possible. The hard part is you have to really know what you're doing. No one does their first time around, no matter how much they research. Some things just come from personal experience.

On a 6 bolt engine you can run 11s with no internal work, no problem. The larger rods can handle a LOT more power than most think.
I don't want this to turn into a huge argument or anything, but I don't want to blow smoke up this guy's ass, either.

3000 - 1G in decent shape with 100K miles. Hopefully it'll last a while w/o a rebuild.
500 - big brakes
1000 - Light-weight wheels with decent tires
1000 - coilovers & shocks
500 - braces and sway bars

1000 - O2 back
200 - ex. man.
1000 - turbo (maybe more or less, depending on what you want)
1000 - FMIC with pipes
150 - fuel pump
500 - injectors
320 - safc
500 - clutch (add more if you want a flywheel)
50 - MBC
50 - boost gauge
150 - EGT gauge
250 - pocketlogger (or equivalent)
150 - 2G MAS
5 - new shift knob - come on, this is necessary!

I come up with $11,325.00. Perhaps you can do without some of the things on the list, or get them cheaper, but I also didn't include things some things that would be nice to have.

Let's not forget, though, that the 100K mile tranny isn't going to last too long in an 11-sec daily driver, the engine may or may not last much longer w/o a rebuild, the alternator will probably die, the clutch master and slave cylinders will probably go, the battery will die, the valve cover will crack, or any of a hundred other things that will need attention in a 10-year-old car.

Also, and although I kinda' hate to harp on it, DSM's are not reknown for their reliability. Some are good, some are crap. Using an 11-sec DSM as a daily driver while expecting to only spend 10K is foolish IMO.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Alot of those parts you just mentioned can be bought used for much cheaper such as the exhaust and intake pieces. Obviously the clutch, turbo and various other parts that are easier to break should be bought new. DSM's break, but when you go modding that much stuff there really isn't too much stock left in the car, especially if you have your tranny rebuilt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have a 1g Plymouth laser rs, awd, 5 speed manual, almost stock besides bigger turbo and upgraded clutch. I am willing to seek for a very good price and in good condition

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,269 Posts
These cars are way too old to try to daily drive anymore, parts aren't available, they will rust into the ground if exposed to any elements, they are too rare and pricey to come by a clean example, you might as well daily drive a 90's Supra, there are more of them out there and more parts available for them honestly, you wouldn't consider that would you? if your answer is NO then I wouldn't try daily driving a 30 year old Dsm, they were hard for some to daily drive when they were only 10 years old, they haven't gotten better at it with the years and lack of parts.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,376 Posts
@BISHILVR do you even know what he/she was asking? I sure as hell don't know.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,269 Posts
@BISHILVR do you even know what he/she was asking? I sure as hell don't know.
I'm not 100% sure whether it was a question or a comment, but I tried the best I could to give advice not to try to daily drive an old antique finicky import sports car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts