DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the manual transmission fluid changed out to synthetic, and now I have a problem. I guess I should say first that it was warm weather when I had this done, and I got the car back when the weather had turned cold. The problem is that it sometimes doesn't want to go completly into second gear, and if you are shifting relatively fast it will sometimes briefly rake as it goes in(more of a quick chirp). I guess as I try to diagnose I want to start with the easiest first, so would changing back to standard gear oil possibly help?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've been using Redline fluids in all my gear boxes since '99 and When my 3rd gear broke,my mechanic commented when he had the tranny apart;except for 3rd gear (which had a hairline crack) looked in great shape and this was after 150 strip runs on a rebuild and use of the synthetic fluids.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
My guessing is that you loaded in Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube. Yeah, it doesn't work so good in our trannys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hahaha, i just did that, and now I can't figure out why my tranny wont budge at all!!! im a dumbass! Thing wont' come out of neutral. It seems the more days it sits, the more frozen it gets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have ran mobil 1 gear lube in my 2G for a little over a year now with no problems. Works great, changed it twice in the years time.

But i supose if people are begaining to have trouble with it maybe i would be dumb for leaving it in ...

So would redline be the better way to go ? If so where is it sold and how much is it ?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
AutoXjunkie said:
I recently had the manual transmission fluid changed out to synthetic, and now I have a problem. I guess I should say first that it was warm weather when I had this done, and I got the car back when the weather had turned cold. The problem is that it sometimes doesn't want to go completly into second gear, and if you are shifting relatively fast it will sometimes briefly rake as it goes in(more of a quick chirp). I guess as I try to diagnose I want to start with the easiest first, so would changing back to standard gear oil possibly help?
You need a thiner weight like 70/80 redline, I got 75/90 and my car acts a little like you are describing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't ask what kind he put in, the only thing I know is that he said it was the correct weight as listed in the shop manual, and it's syntho? I will have to find out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I put in Redline MT-90 75/85 weight, hoping to ease the pain on my synchros. I'm having a similar problem to you, if i shift into 2nd too quick, it'll grind. I have to wait a second between 1st and 2nd to get it to go in properly. Unfortunately, the Redline didn't help. I think next time i'm gonna go with GM Synchromesh or BG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts