DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, im too lazy to go outside because im really drunk right now, but on a 1g DSM is it possible to change the water pump under jackstands oppose to a lift?
Thanks for the input, and also how difficult is this.

:-D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, you can do it on jackstands rather than a lift. It might be hard for a first timer, but for me its not too hard. Its like your gonna do the timing belt pretty much. What i usually do is lift up the drivers side, put it on a jackstand. Then i remove the wheel, Underdrive pulley, Ac belt/brackets, alternator belt, and then the power steering belt. You might wanna loosen the water pump pulley bolts BEFORE you take off the belt..cause its kinda tough when the belts are off. Lift up the motor a lil with a jack from the oil pan...but be sure to put a 2x4 on the jack or something similar to not damage the oil pan when raised. Then loosen the motor mount then remove. Remove all bolts to timing cover then remove cover. Remove timing belt tensioner, then timing belt. Now your water pump should be in plain sight. Remove water pump bolts then water pump. Then replace water-pump, retime car, and reverse the steps. Im not too sure if you can do it with the belt on, im not TOO positive cause its been awhile since ive done one. Im just going off the top of my head.....so someone fill me in if i missed something cause im feeling wooozy from my Nyquil :) haha. THANKS

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive done it before, just not on this car. I do not have AC or power steering lol so that might help,

meanAWDtalon said:
Yes, you can do it on jackstands rather than a lift. It might be hard for a first timer, but for me its not too hard. Its like your gonna do the timing belt pretty much. What i usually do is lift up the drivers side, put it on a jackstand. Then i remove the wheel, Underdrive pulley, Ac belt/brackets, alternator belt, and then the power steering belt. You might wanna loosen the water pump pulley bolts BEFORE you take off the belt..cause its kinda tough when the belts are off. Lift up the motor a lil with a jack from the oil pan...but be sure to put a 2x4 on the jack or something similar to not damage the oil pan when raised. Then loosen the motor mount then remove. Remove all bolts to timing cover then remove cover. Remove timing belt tensioner, then timing belt. Now your water pump should be in plain sight. Remove water pump bolts then water pump. Then replace water-pump, retime car, and reverse the steps. Im not too sure if you can do it with the belt on, im not TOO positive cause its been awhile since ive done one. Im just going off the top of my head.....so someone fill me in if i missed something cause im feeling wooozy from my Nyquil :) haha. THANKS

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
so do you really have to take the t-belt off to do water pump?
I'm trying to remember how all of the timing components go together, but I'm almost positive you have to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just out of curiousity, as I've not had to replace the pump myself... how is the water channel that runs underneath/behind the exhaust/turbo attached to the pump? Some sort of fitting that spins freely around the pipe, or something different? Thank you.

~Zach

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.