DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been some having some issues with my car and tonight, I stumbled across something that I really can't explain so I figured i'd ask.

Cliffs (read this if you're lazy): I have a 98 gst which is currently throwing a P0130 (first bank o2 sensor, needs to replaced, already ordered) and my intake air flow rates when logged with OBDGAUGE are constantly zero. When logged with palm n' Stein, it is at 0.4 at idle and climbs up accordingly. However, all of the other data for the car shows up just fine on obdgauge so why doesn't air intake flow rate?

Long version: I was installing an o2 housing on my 98 eclipse and in the process of removing my o2 sensor from the stock housing, I somehow manage to break it. I already ordered one to replace it but as I was driving to do some logs to make sure the o2 was actually dead (o2 voltage reads "0.8" constantly and never changes) I noticed that my intake air flow rate just reads zero in obdgauge. Keep in my mind, my car is driving perfectly normal (even with a dead o2 sensor) throughout this whole thing. I got home and searched around a bit, there seem to be quite a few logs on tuners that have the flow rate reading all zeros.

I was getting kind of worried here, thinking that my maf might have an issue. Well, i went outside and turned on palm n' stein this time and sure enough, it reads an output for intake air flow rate. It reads about 0.4 at idle and climbs up from there, I gave it very light revs (about 1500 to not wake up the neighbors) and it would go up to 0.6 and then drop back down to 0.4 when I got off the gas. Basically, it seems to work when logged with palm n' stein. When logged with obdgauge though, it reads zero. My main issue is that obdgauge reads ALL of the other variables just fine and completely agrees with my palm n' stein completely, EXCEPT for the flow rate. Has anyone else seen this before? If anyone has either one of these on their logger, i'd apreciate it if you could tell me what you see at idle and such so I can compare mine to yours. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other related question: When your o2 sensor dies, isn't it just suppose to read 0 or something? Mine reads "80" in obdgauge (constantly, never changes) and just bounces randomly (every couple minutes, no matter what i'm doing or what rpm i'm at) between 0.6 to 0.8 in palm n' stein (doesnt transition between them, just sometimes reads 0.6 and sometimes reads 0.8. I'm assuming the sensor is dead (I got the CEL this morning, cleared it, and it came back tonight again) because of the code (P0130, bank 1 o2 sensor malfunction) but its just weird since my car is acting completely perfect. I even drove it about 50 miles today and i'm still getting good gas milage, around 20mpg city. There is no black smoke pouring out the exhaust, car doesn't stumble, it just acts perfectly fine other than the CEL. I've had o2's go bad before and usually you can tell without the car even throwing a CEL. Anyone had this happen before?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noone has an idea about this? :(

Can anyone with obdgauge just please go out and see what it reads for air intake flow rate at idle? Same thing with palm n' stein if possible. I'm just curious to see where this difference is coming from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts