DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy new 6 x 9 speakers for my car and i was wondering which speakers will fit in the rear side panel without having to make any major modifications? Basically what is the maximum depth that the speaker can be to fit into the rear side panel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a relatively deep compartment. I put rather large magnets in mine and it fit fine. Also I haven't heard anybody complain that they couldn't get their speakers to fit which pretty much means any 6x9 will fit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
According to Crutchfield, the maximum depth is 2 7/8", may be wrong though, just what the mag says :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a similar problem with 6x9's in my car. I tried mounting Kenwood 6909 6x9's in my 97 GS-T Spyder and the magnet went *BONK* and stuck to the metal panel behind the opening. And it's got about 1/2" or so gap above where it's supposed to sit.

I read the 2 7/8" mounting depth too, and I'm not sure if that applies to a Spyder, due to different design of the 6x9 compartment area. The Kenwoods are 3 1/4" I believe.

I'm going to get longer screws and bunch of washers to lift the speaker above the bracket, but then my issue is this: How do I put a grille on this? Of course I have Kenwood grilles, but then I got this ugly opening around the speaker where the OEM grille used to be.

Any ideas for a clean install?

·
Registered
25 Posts
my 2 centz...

im a very very huge kenwood fan but ... at bryn mawr stero they had kenwoods next to a boston acoustic 6x9 and you could hear a big difference so i got the boston acoustics and they fit fine ....a little more expensive

·
Registered
350 Posts
Diamond Audio M5 6x9s!!!!! everyOne should have these. I just picked them up today and they are sweet!!! very clear, swivel tweeter, biAmp, they are a component with a fixed tweeter, and the magnet is not big at all. I was comparing 6x9s Mbs, JLs Tr&VR, POlks... you name it. for a while and these are the best I have heard. They are a little more expensive than most of the others but well worth the money.

You should run an amp to them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts