DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 99 gsx with the eagle rods and wiseco pistons. I want the bottom end built as solid as possible because I plan to go all out with this car. What would be the best brand for bearings and thrust washers? I have used acl (thought they where the best) in this previous motor and I spun a rod bearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
ACL Race bearings are the best. You spin bearings by lack of oil or things were not set up correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i think the machine shop messed up my motor cause they told me they inspected the rods after my motor got hot and bent all the intake valves on cylinders 2 and 3. 75 miles after the rebuild both rod bearings on 2 and 3 were damaged. So acl is the best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
taylorb765 said:
Well i think the machine shop messed up my motor cause they told me they inspected the rods after my motor got hot and bent all the intake valves on cylinders 2 and 3. 75 miles after the rebuild both rod bearings on 2 and 3 were damaged. So acl is the best?
If the valves bent, I would think timing was off, not the bearings failed. Maybe when they failed they created enough resistance to throw the timing off, I dont know.

ACL is the only one on the market with tri metal bearings as far as I know, the race version that is, about $120 for a set of mains and rods.

You will also be needing new rods as well on the ones with damaged bearings since they are likely blued, I would not reuse them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bearings are already destroyed along with 2 rods and the crank. I have already ordered eagle H beam rods and wiseco pistons and plan to use my 99 block cause I have heard the thrust washer setup is better. I have a 95 block in the car right now that I spent alot of money rebuilding. I plan to use a stage 3 clutch so would i need any special thrust washers or are the ones that come with the acl bearings good enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
taylorb765 said:
The bearings are already destroyed along with 2 rods and the crank. I have already ordered eagle H beam rods and wiseco pistons and plan to use my 99 block cause I have heard the thrust washer setup is better. I have a 95 block in the car right now that I spent alot of money rebuilding. I plan to use a stage 3 clutch so would i need any special thrust washers or are the ones that come with the acl bearings good enough?
ACL race bearings will be fine.

What kind of clutch are you going with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a cheap f1 6 puck ceramic off of ebay. I know its kind of cheap compared to what im doin to the rest of the car but i have heard they hold up just as well as the act clutches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
taylorb765 said:
The bearings are already destroyed along with 2 rods and the crank. I have already ordered eagle H beam rods and wiseco pistons and plan to use my 99 block cause I have heard the thrust washer setup is better. I have a 95 block in the car right now that I spent alot of money rebuilding. I plan to use a stage 3 clutch so would i need any special thrust washers or are the ones that come with the acl bearings good enough?
I've heard this same thing, I have a 98 block in my talon and I believe its the same setup as the 99?? I've thought about building it up but I'm still feeling a little sketchy about it.. Acl's from what I hear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the 98 and 99 used a different thrust assembly as an attempt to eliminate crankwalk. I put a 95 block in my 99 gsx cause i thought the sleeves were pinholed all the way through but the machine shop told me it will clean up at .040 over. I will build this one up cause ive never heard of them having problems. I think the 4g63s in the newer evos use the same thrust washer assembly as the 98 and 99 4g63s in the 2gs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
The_EE said:
If the valves bent, I would think timing was off, not the bearings failed. Maybe when they failed they created enough resistance to throw the timing off, I dont know.

ACL is the only one on the market with tri metal bearings as far as I know, the race version that is, about $120 for a set of mains and rods.

You will also be needing new rods as well on the ones with damaged bearings since they are likely blued, I would not reuse them.


Well on my 95 tsi i spun one of the bearings, and it pretty much shreaded up and clogged the oil pump, but the point is some how in all of this i ened up bending like 3 of my intake valves. I thought it was quite weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
Late 97 and up thrust bearings were an improved version. I'm going to build up my 98 block (Which spun a bearing in January)
So far my 95 block has about 150K hard miles on it and its still kicking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
Early 97 engines have a flange bearing, mid 97-99 have thrust bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
I'm really thinking about building my block up, my main concern is using the same crank that spun a bearing.. But I guess if it checks out okay, it should be fine.. Maybe just get it micro polished.

OP, are you plaining on using the same crank? Did you get it checked out before you built your last motor and do you plan on having it checked before you build this motor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya its gonna cost me 200$ to get it turned. I was going to go with an eagle forged crankshat but i guess its not much of an improvement over the stock crank? I have heard the oem crank can hold over 500hp do you think this is true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,092 Posts
I know its capable of 500+ hp for sure!! Shit, I've even seen cars run that on stock internals somehow..:dunno: Isn't Evil Eagle still on the stock crank?? If so It must be capable of pretty much anything you can throw at it.:p " I know its a 6 bolt crank though."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
turbolover said:
What about micro polishing the crank?
I'm also interested in this because I spun a rod bearing in my other engine and if its scored (I hope not) it will have to be polished again before putting in new bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
taylorb765 said:
Ya its gonna cost me 200$ to get it turned. I was going to go with an eagle forged crankshat but i guess its not much of an improvement over the stock crank? I have heard the oem crank can hold over 500hp do you think this is true?
Haha. Our cranks are the strongest part of out motors. They've been known to handle into the 1000hp range.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top