DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm in Ohio and I want some machine work on my engine. I'm really just trying to see how much its going to run me (ballpark). What have you guys paid? Also any clues on good shops in Ohio?

Here is what I want done so far:
-Head milled
-Block decked, bored .020, line bored, honed, hot tanked
-Crank micropolished
-I've been thinking of having the head O-ringed, but not sure if its worth it. (chime in)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm from jersey, but just to give you an idea.
bored .20 over (hot tank, new freeze out plugs, decked)
polished crank
installed new pistons on rods
cleanned head and installed new valve seals
I paid $440.00 for all this. I don't know if that's a good deal or not. I did it through a machine shop that my job has an account with, so he said he gave me a discount.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow this isn't sounding to steep so far. I came a crossed Showdown Motorsports in Toledo OH, I think I'm going to give them a call Monday. Apparently they have an 8 second 1g. The rods and pistons I am buying don't have pressed in pins, and I also have new valve stem seals in my head. I'm hoping for around $350.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Man i paid $400 just for .30 service...

·
Registered
5 Posts
included in this price are the following.

ACL race main and rod bearings
BSE kit
Six new valves

and the following work.

block
.020over
decked
align honed
bse kit installation
crank ground and polished
assembly

head
disassembly
decked
reassembled with new valves, guides, and seals.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow these prices are really fluctuating! I guess it depends on how big the company is that is doing the work. There is a local machine shop around me that is very cheap. Actually its an older retired guys shop that doesn't even do much work anymore. But my brother got a quote from him on his Honda motor bored .020 for $120. The only thing that worries me is the fact that the people in the Dsm world are always concerned with torque plates being fastened down before boring the cylinders.

Is this always completely necessary?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just picked my engine up.
6 bolt complete stock rebuild, rebuilt oil pump, b/s removed, arp mains, arp rods, hot tanked, decked, clevite 77 bearings, assembled and painted. $500

this was at Horn Automotive in Marion, IA

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well shoot, looks like we can add removal of a head bolt to the list. One of the allen head, head bolts is stripped and I can't seem to get it out myself. Any suggestions before I call a shop?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bet the AVERAGE income in panama reflects there cheap labor too, I will stay in the usa.

I spent 1150 on machine work. I had my rods clearanced to my spec's, my mains clearanced, my cylinders were bored with a deck plate I had them make to my spec of p/w clearance, rings gapped to my spec, valve guides installed, re-seated, dual spring shimmed to spec, head milled, deck milled, and balanced.

My machinest also won engine builder of the year in 2003, so I am also paying for a name.

I assembled my engine and double checked my clearances and my tolerances were way way closer than I expected or asked for.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It really depends on many factors. Minimum wage in Panama is around $252.00 USD a month for an office worker. If you worked in construction your wage would be different, and you would earn an hourly wage depending on the type of work you carry out.

If I were to put a number on an average income per person for Panama, and if we're referring to a professional (lawyer, engineer, accountant, etc.), I would have to say the average would be $14,500.00 per year. Considering that a mid level professional is earning around $1,200 to $1,300 US Dollars a month.

This is a quote I found on yahoo searching "average income in panama". Not something I said. You could not get me to go to work for 2X as much as the "average" lawyer, engineer, accountant, ect. makes. And I am just a master automotive mechanic. Maybe these arn't accurate. I don't know, I don't live in Panama.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I did everything you listed on a honda d16z6 and also had it sleeved for about 900. Without sleeving, it was going to cost about 400 and some change 3 years ago. I had a very hard time finding a shop to do it, in michigan at the time it was very hard to find any shop who would touch anything that wasn't a domestic.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There is still a few shops here in the Milwaukee, WI area that won't touch anything "exotic"....which includes imports...its a little sad if you ask me. There are some really good shops out there that have really excellent skills, and they are just throwing business away....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.