DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what everyone is running and thinks is the best.

I have Sylvania Silverstars(sp?) in my last car and have regular bulbs in my gsx. But they are getting old.
(came with the car)

When I had the silverstars in my last car I always got Great comments
about them. so I can wait to try these out.

So im going to pick up the New ULTRAS and try them out.
suppose to be 20% more lumens and a 30% wider angle. compard to the regular silverstars

Just wondering if anybody has used them and what they think.
Or what else is really good out there.

Thanks!

Well I did some More research and i feel stupid for making this thread now.
Sorry. Mods may delete if wanted. Or member may post and discuss if wanted.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If I can recall the regular Silverstars are rated at 4000k and the Ultras are 4700k. Still 100% street legal. Give it a try.

·
Registered
363 Posts
teamongen said:
If I can recall the regular Silverstars are rated at 4000k and the Ultras are 4700k. Still 100% street legal. Give it a try.
Not trying to be pessimistic, but Ultras are a joke. Trust me, they are good for about 8 months, and then they get ridiculously dim. Not worth the 50 dollar price tag. Been there done that. You will honestly be a bit disappointed, but will try to convince yourself they are great because you spent 50 bucks for them. They may look cool, but the light they emit is pretty low and it gets lower as they get older. HID is hands down the best way to go, the plug and play kits even work fairly well. Just make sure to get projector housings so you don't blind fellow drivers. My next step will be to go with a HID setup with projectors. I already have a set of Escalade projectors, ballasts and DS2 bulbs, just need to fit them.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
I've been running the Silverstars and like them. Until my alternator took a crap and blew both of them out. That's a quick $50 in headlights to replace. They seem to be surge sensitive but I like the added brightness over stock bulbs.

I have a 1g FWIW.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
manrightchea said:
Not trying to be pessimistic, but Ultras are a joke. Trust me, they are good for about 8 months, and then they get ridiculously dim. Not worth the 50 dollar price tag. Been there done that. You will honestly be a bit disappointed, but will try to convince yourself they are great because you spent 50 bucks for them. They may look cool, but the light they emit is pretty low and it gets lower as they get older. HID is hands down the best way to go, the plug and play kits even work fairly well. Just make sure to get projector housings so you don't blind fellow drivers. My next step will be to go with a HID setup with projectors. I already have a set of Escalade projectors, ballasts and DS2 bulbs, just need to fit them.
I agree that HID's are hands down the best lighting equipment, but I've had SS Ultras in my car for about 10 months now, and I haven't noticed any dimming. They looked great in the stock composite housings, and were a huge improvement over the stockers. About 6 months ago, I bought the euro black lights, and holy crap they look amazing!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ive had the same bad experiances with ultras as stated above

·
Registered
463 Posts
manrightchea said:
I have silverstars for about two years before one finally blew, the other is still sitting in my glove box as a replacement. So they do last a while, being this is my second eclipse and still have that one for a back up. As for the brightness, its better than stockers but it still sucks to see at night with rain. Id still go buy the ultras because of the experience I have had with mine.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can get a set of Ultras for really really cheap brand new so thats why
I want them... and if they blow in 6 months oh well... by then I plan to be HID...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol Sry cant do!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I uggh... am using Phillips D2S 5000K in a retrofitted Audi S4 Projectors with Valeo Balasts... :D

But I used the Silverstars before, they were crap, just stick with regular bulbs, you ain't gaining anything.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow, am I the only one to go cheap? I just got the $10 ones off ebay with the blue coating. I stayed away from the ones that were like 100Watt, I used the same wattage. But they are way brighter, and I only payed $5 shipped to my door because of an Ebay coupon I had.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Anything that pulls more than OEM wattage, (55 low, 60 high I believe) has a risk of melting/burning the wires. Stay the FUCK away from the 100 watt high beams they sell. Some kid down my road bought some before asking me about it, the next day his engine bay caught fire.

·
Banned
755 Posts
Im also running the famous $10 ebay head light bulb with blue coating. I had the for over 3 months and still working great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts