DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is fuel cut and can someone explain what happens, how it feels, and how to fix it?

------------------

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hmm, lets see this is what I recall when I first got my boost controller and my friend thought It would be funny to turn the boost up to 25 psi....

You accelerate as usual (being pushed back into your seat fairly hard) and then its just like BBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM, the car jolts forward (Slowing/Stopping quickly), and in most cases you hit the steering wheel and/or the seatbelt locks. The after that the car starts spoolin the turbo again and accelerating.

Try it once, its loads of fun =]

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Not the expert on this...yet, but I'll attempt to explain:
Fuel cut occurs when the maf senses too much air mass flowing into the engine and this signal convinces the ecu to cut off fuel to prevent engine detonation by running too lean. This is an annoying factory installed safety device within the ecu programming.
WhatsADSM explained what it feels like...
I am currently investigating methods of getting around it. I think I found it last sunday morning, as well as the steering wheel!

------------------
Rocky Mountain modified Talon
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

My DSM

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Thank You Quadcylla!
I want one of those diy kits. Be in contact soon. I bookmarked your page so I can study it alot more...
Thank you...

------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified

My DSM

·
Registered
45 Posts
"This is an annoying factory installed safety device within the ecu programming."

I disagree. This feature has probably saved hundreds of engines every year on the DSMs...

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
OK...I believe it was put in the ecu as a safety device on a stock vehicle with a defective wastegate.
For those of us that are supplying the extra fuel needed, monitoring egts, monitoring the a/f reading and trying to go faster than the factory intended; it can be annoying.
I will give you this much though; it does let us know when all of the above things I mentioned better be happening right. Or risk your engine...
btw - not to get off on a rant here but - anybody that has done all these things and overcome fuel cut can whip a BMW...hehehe
(To my fellow moderators: I just couldn't resist...really)
------------------
Rocky Mountain Talon - modified

My DSM

[This message has been edited by Van (edited October 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Van (edited October 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
232 Posts
hell i cant hit fuel cut and i still whip up on m3's without the joe p mbc...lol (COME ON WESTACH I NEED THOSE GAUGES..)

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
LOL!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
You accelerate as usual (being pushed back into your seat fairly hard) and then its just like BBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM, the car jolts forward (Slowing/Stopping quickly), and in most cases you hit the steering wheel and/or the seatbelt locks. The after that the car starts spoolin the turbo again and accelerating.

Try it once, its loads of fun =]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man people pay for amusement parks, but us lucky dsm owners can get much cheaper thrills! :)

Actually, i have never experienced fuelcut. Regretably i had my mas modified so that i wouldn't get it. DOOOOH!!!
What was i thinking?!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Heh, you probably wouldn't ever hit it in San Diego anyways. :) You usually start hitting it once it gets cold out. I once hit it 4 times before making it to the 1/8 mile on a 1/4 mile track. Thats when I decided to go to even larger injectors, I had 550s but couldn't richen them up enough to run safe EGTs without hitting fuel cut. But that was with a 20G in 30 degree weather at 22+ psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts