DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big advocate of the importance of the dave point in a car in how it handles, and my 3 favorite cars have fantastic dave points (FD rx-7, S13 240sx, and miata) and Im wondering what kind of dave point the dsm has.

anyone know WTF im talking about?

·
Registered
374 Posts
LMAO!!!! rock on man i just got done reading that article. im not sure about what the dave point for a 1g awd is but im also curious about a 1g fwd. now im curious if anyone knows what WE are talking about. long live scc.
Peace
-Jeff

·
Registered
374 Posts
it was a back issue, i just snagged the closest mag and that happened to be the one i got. and besides, i never said i just got it :D
Peace

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since it seems that no one else knows what the dave point is, and I dont have my car yet, maby you could find the dave point on your car?

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
The "dave point" is right next to the clitoris.

Oh crap, that means I'll never find it. :D

(actually, I have no idea WTF you all are talking about, I don't read turbo/SCC/vTeC-mOnThLy/etc)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James92TSi said:

(actually, I have no idea WTF you all are talking about, I don't read turbo/SCC/vTeC-mOnThLy/etc)
you should read SCC, even if it has ricer advertisments, it is by NO means a ricer mag. and you know what, since I read it and you dont, I know about a very important part of a cars handling dynamic that you dont.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
A simple web search leads me to say (in my own words): The "dave point" is the (imaginary) point where the steering axis contacts the ground. The idea is to get that point as close to the center of the tire's contact patch as possible.

On a 1G DSM, you'd need to imagine a line that goes through the centers of the strut mount (on the knuckle) and the balljoint (on the control arm). Those are the two components that form the steering axis on a 1G. Imagine where that line would touch the ground, and you have your "dave point." No I'm not gonna outside to do this on my car, it's raining right now like it has been for the last 2.5 weeks (bastard weather... !).

On a 2G, I have no clue where the "dave point" it would be. 2Gs have split lower control arms (which are supposed to help move the "dave point" farther outboard). 2Gs got the good suspension, I give them that (too bad their motor sucks! bwahahahhaa :D).

The question I have is... Who is Dave and why does he have a point?

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. Dave is the guy writing these articles for SCC. He invented his own point, how cute. Why can't he just say "the point where the steering axis contacts the ground" instead of naming shit after himself??? :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
James92TSi said:

The question I have is... Who is Dave and why does he have a point?

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. Dave is the guy writing these articles for SCC. He invented his own point, how cute. Why can't he just say "the point where the steering axis contacts the ground" instead of naming shit after himself??? :D
here is why he named it after himself:
compare length:
the point where the steering axis contacts the ground
dave point

one seems much shorter, doesnt it?
also, what would you rather say:
the rubber compound which is attahced to the wheel, and contacts the ground
or
tire

so what if its named after him, I think it works fine, and Im gonna call it the dave point FOREVER!

p.s...... how much better is 2g sspension than 1g? does a 95 have the same suspension as a 98?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have never heard of this "dave point" but after hearing it described it simply sounds like you're talking about the roll radius. you are talking about the imaginary line created by the strut by going from the top strut mount to the ball joint, or just the upper and lower ball joint for sla suspensions, aren't you? as long as i've known a name for that it's been roll radius. it was supposed to be a big deal win the 924 came out that it had a negative roll radius which was supposed to promote straight line braking in the event of one of the front brakes not working by forcing the one braking wheel to turn inwards instead of outwards.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Oh woops. haha, yeah I do. I forgot about that one. For other mags, I read "Car" and RallyXS, but they're not US.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
if you have ever messed with any r/c car you better know what this is!

There is an easy way to find your dave point, but I'm not in the mood to type it out tonight. It involves some dissassembly and a few measurments but basically it should nd up in the center of your tires contact patch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts