DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, i bought i 94 eagle talon about three months ago and i am still learning about the dsm world. a few days ago while i was pulling onto the interstate i was shifting into 4th gear and accidentally went into 2nd and over reved the car. there is a pretty good knock now and im getting it fixed. while were in the engine i wanted to replace the pistons and rods but wasn't sure on what to put in.... any suggestions?

the car has a small 16g turbo with a supra side mount. coil unplug, 680 injectors, 190 fuel pump evo 3 intake..... it is the 6 bolt engine

·
Registered
605 Posts
2g pistons on 1g rods is a fairly stout and cheap combo.
You can also get aftermarket rods such as Eagle and slap on some Ross or Wiseco pistons.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you have any plans of going with a bigger turbo and if yes, how big? If your immediate plans are not over 400hp then in all honesty your current pistons are fine unless due to that overrev some valve heads were broken off and have destroyed the piston(s). That happens but quite rarely.

So, in case if you are not going over those magic 400 ponies, your course of action should be something like the following:)

Pull the head. Most likely your pistons are fine and just have little indentation marks like half moons from the valves contacting them. If this is the case, fix the head and put it back on. If your pistons are indeed mangled then you still have an option of replacing the damaged one(s) by dropping the oil pan, unbolting the rod caps and taking the piston/rod out with the block in the car. If you 're dead set on replacing all of them regardless then I 'd go the aftermarket way for both pistons and rods. 2g pistons on 1g rods may not be that attractive of a deal after you factor in the price of machining those rods for 2g pistons. I personally prefer Ross over Wisecos but there is nothing wrong with the latter ones. Eagles are fine.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If your able to salvage what you have like suggested, I would go that route.. If your set on ripping everything out I would definitely suggest going with something like the ross/eagles..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any one have any luck with JE pistons? Or are they shit? Never really see anything about them on this forum.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wiseco seems to be most people's choice when it comes to rod/piston combo. For $700.00, you can't go wrong. The money you spend on 2g pistons plus the machining price for the rods, you might as well spend $200.00 extra and go with forged internals.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would say to look around and find yourself a set of forged internals. I looked around for a bit and I was able to get some ross pistons and eagle rods for $300 new in the box. Do yourself and go with some forged internals, they are the bomb. If you have the money go with aluminum rods and mahle pistons, they are so light!!!

JE pistons are very nice pistons. My mechanic has je pistons and crower rods and hasn't had a single problem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
bento said:
Wiseco seems to be most people's choice when it comes to rod/piston combo. For $700.00, you can't go wrong. The money you spend on 2g pistons plus the machining price for the rods, you might as well spend $200.00 extra and go with forged internals.
$500 for a 2g/1g combo? Youve got to be kidding me. It cost me $50 for a set of 2g rods and pistons. Of course reusing my stock 1g rods free. and the machine work cost me $80. That $130 total for a perfectly stout motor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
$500 for a 2g/1g combo? Youve got to be kidding me. It cost me $50 for a set of 2g rods and pistons. Of course reusing my stock 1g rods free. and the machine work cost me $80. That $130 total for a perfectly stout motor

$50 for pistons? That was used pistons i'm assuming. I wouldn't rebuild a motor with used pistons, but that's just me. I bought a set of brand new 2g pistons and rings with a .20 over bore and they cost me $320.00 shipped from jnz tuning. I tried to get the rods machinned but nobody around me could do it. So i just decided to go forged internals. If you can get it done for cheap than it's worth it, i couldn't so i had to go a different route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts