DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bone stock 1991 eclipse gs turbo 2wd and i was wondering what a good first mod would be? im not familiar with dsm's.i used to have a 89crx si till it got totalled about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
K&N filter and the 'free mods'. Then plan your future/budget/upgrade path now before the bug bites you too hard. :)

The K&N filter is available at any half way decent (Autozone barely qualifies) discount auto chain. So its probably close to home. The other free mods include: removing the air horn to the air box, removing the restrictor from the boost control solenoid, hacking up the air box, umm... god its been so long I forgot the rest.

Check out http://1000q.dsm.org/ and surf until you feel your eyes go dry and then read some more. Pay special attention to the newbie areas as they will give you 90-95% quality info vs. the 80-85% you may receive in emails responding to Q's you post in the Talon Digest or even responses in this forum.

Then, go to your local drag strip and get to know your FWD before you do tons of mods and get thouroughly disappointed/pissed at your ETs and MPH because YOU don't know how to drive it. It happens, far too often. It takes 100s of passes to be a good driver. I also recommend to anyone, not just you, to do before and after analysis of anything you do to the car. Then you know if you really did something, it was dumb luck or a good launch.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have spent 30 dollars on performance mods and I am dead even with my friend's 96 LT1 Camaro. I put my weapon R filter off my nonturbo, took out the whole air box so the filter hangs free, took out the metal and paper silencer behind the mas, went to a junk yard and bought a cat-converter for $20 and gutted it (kept mine for when emission testing comes around!), and bought an old muffler for $10 dollars and cut off the muffler part and bolted on the pipe that was attached to the muffler so the exhaust points out the back. My car is significantly faster than when I bought it. My friend with the Camaro raced when I first got my car and beat me by about 3 car lengths. Afer doing just this we are dead even most of the time. I actually pull ahead sometimes! For 30$ ain't bad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
well 91LazerT....as i told u before my car had problems..ill whoop your ass anyday...what did u run at the track...what did i run. so shut up boy! better get more mods..:)!
Laterz
CAMARAO OWNS DSM!

·
Registered
418 Posts
SLOWMARO

This camaro is pretty slow!
These times are not impressive. A 14.1 in the 1/4,
sorry to tell you but thats not that fast.
Do some more research on DSM's timeslips, before
you say "Camaros own DSM's"

kid-tsi
"Are You Faster?"

·
Registered
605 Posts
Definitely don't mess with the boost until you get an aftermarket gauge. DSS also has a real nice page of "free mods". It's amazing the before/after effect. Also check out the partstrader.com ..lot of used goodies out these real cheep.

-John

·
Registered
921 Posts
A few things.

Mr. super Z. Don't play with your frined. Even if your on the bottle. 14.1 in the DSM world just like the V8 world is not impressive at all.

I will put money where my mouth is that i could put your friends car in the 13's for a few hundred bux and tuned right :D but that's me! hehehe

it's like this, he has yet to learn about good porting work for the turbo, what a good FMIC will do to a turbo car and then when he sees that his FWD can top end like a Mo-Fo you better worry =-)

Ok enough of that, JL, get a real cat back system. At least 2.5 inch for now. This will make the car spool up faster and then have more top end with out any real low end loss. A boost controler from Joe P ( look for the add on DSM talk ) A boost gauge by Autometer and your set for now. 16 PSi on the street and you should be ok

If you have a idle prob with a stumble or a bog when you snap the gas it's B/C you removed the air can. this happens B/C the MAS is getting a "Funky" signal. if you look at the can you will see rivits on it. drill them out and see how that is. this helps direct the air in to the MAS and not disrupt the air flow. You can run a open finter but some cars complain.

JL a few rules of thumb for turbo cars.

FUEL FUEL FUEL keep track of it don't forget about it, it's all about it. FUEL!!!

Ehxt pipes as big as your ears can take. ( or the cops ears )

FUEL FUEL FUEL ( same as above )

porting is KEY to top end power. :) Just b/C it's a 4 banger 121 CID doesn't mean that a big sloppy V8 will mess with you on the top end. :D

You also can use the BOTTLE!! ( look out Mr. Z!! )

you cant get the air in if you can't get it out right??

EHXT IS EVERYTHING!!

Still more but I won't go on. keep the Qs coming and you will be a happy DSM owner. treat it like a honda and do all air flow work and no fuel, you will be one of the Not-so-happy-out-$2K-for-a-motor DSM owner.

Good Luck
Bill Marino
Hole Shot Performance

·
Registered
84 Posts
the first thing i would do is a COMPLETE tune-up.....consisting of plugs wires,fuelfilter,k&n filter,flushing the stock IC, check all vacumm lines for cracks,use a good cumbustion chamber cleaner...etc

then do all the free mods...

IMHO,what good are "go-fast!!" mods if the car has problems...not saying your car has problems,but atleast get it running it's best in stock trim first. you'd be surprised in how much difference it could be

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well what i did was:
1. Get my oil and other fluids changed, and an undercarriage all points check.
2. Make sure my timing belt and other related belts, pulleys and tensioners changed and/or checked
3. Make sure my stock car was running great, with no boost leaks.
4. Changed spark plug wires and plugs.
5. Use ebay to find certain parts for cheaper (boost controller, intake pipe, guage, intercooler pipes)

After doing this and strapping on a custom 2.5" catback with no cat, I've noticed great power gains at very low costs. Take your time to learn about each little mod you to, to maximize the effect it will have overall. Lots of research, and a chunk of cash is your best bet early on i think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts