DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my car in stock form it got about 22mpg. After the mods I have done (see my signature) I tested it again, and I'm getting only about 15-16mpg. :-/

I run 9psi during the day (110F here in TX!!!) and 15psi at night. Granted maybe I do push the pedal harder now with the added boost, but I would just like to know some others out there.

Anyone out there running 17psi for normal city driving and getting 22-23mpg?

Just curious, and I still rather have a semi-modded GST with 15psi getting 16mpg than a stock one getting 22mpg. :)

PS> My car has 20K miles. I don't think it's the 02 sensor. Probably just me.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got 24 MPG on my 2G eclipse when it was bone stock. This was on a 5 hour drive from NYC to Montreal. I was averaging pretty close to 100MPH most of the way with "occasional" blasts to 130MPH! This was at night with no traffic on 87.

------------------
95GSX

·
Registered
122 Posts
When i had just an air filter and exhaust and 200lbs of stereo equipment I was getting 22 MPG. Now with the stock turbo running 15psi with minor mods, and 50 lbs of stereo equipment, I am averaging 20 MPG and about 23 MPG on the highway. I have realized that there is a big difference in the MPG depending on how you drive, more so than my old honda or my mustang.

------------------
Brian P.
New turbo almost here!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I get around 30mpg on the highway (averaging 75-80mph) and probably around 21mpg in the city...worse if I let my right foot push harder :eek:)

~Tranman

'98 Eclipse "GS"X
Frank Jr. 19C Turbo
GReddy PE Catback
Speed Design Upper I/C Pipes
HKS SSBOV
Weapon R Air Filter
TurboXS MBC

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I get 26-27 mpg @ 15-16psi no matter what. My wife's almost stock '90 AWD turbo Talon gets 30-31 mpg no matter what. Must be the lack of air up here...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got between 32 and 37 mpg on my '91 Tsi fwd on my way from Ct to the 2000 shootout. That's modded to 307 hp at the wheels, not leaning out the VPC averaging about 65/70 mph. Boost is set to 20 psi on pump gas but hardly saw any boost at all for the entire trip. I was following my buddy in his trailered racer and he was having trouble maintaining that avg. speed with the beater tow vehicle.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I get about 23 in the city and 32 or so on the highway (little boost). The city driving is with getting on it often. I am running 17 psi on a 16g with PMS, full exhaust, and intake/pipes, and on a front wheel drive 2G. My friend with about the same set up on a 1G AWD get about 16mpg.
**PS-This is with 72,000 miles**
------------------
1995 Talon TSI fwd

[This message has been edited by greenstreak (edited September 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AWDkitkat and I seem to have the lowest mpg. I'm taking a wild guess and saying it has to be the fact that we are closer to sea level (closer for me). I guess that could a factor.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I was kinda wondering the same thing... if the fact that the air up here is so thin, the ecu keeps my fuel down to a minimum. As I seem to have the best mileage...Well, I just ordered an egt gauge and the jumptronix o2 meter. I will let everybody know what I discover. I'll probably have a few questions!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get about 370-400 per tank which i think would come out to 23-26mpg boosting 17-18psi (of course I don't always boost that much). I live in So. Cal, so the temp difference will matter if I were at Texas. I know for a fact if you had AFC and a datalogged it, you would be getting lot better mpg. Lightly modified DSMs run richer (which is how the ecu is set), so tuning it will help.

Jeff
97 GS-T w/ XS Garrett t04e/t3 kit, apex fmic, hks external w/g, blitz 660cc, rsr dp, apex n1 exhaust, SX fuel pump w/ -8 line from fuel filter, SX fpr, starr uic, afc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I get an average of about 22-24 mpg, depending what brand of gas I use. If it's Shell, I get better mileage and less power. With Marathon, it's the opposite. I don't have much selection here in N. Michigan, so not much choice for "good" gas.

------------------
Craig H
92 Laser AWD

·
Registered
836 Posts
LASER4G63, wow! and I always thought that the shell, mobil and amoco were the best in gas quality - for me it's shell gas, my tsi seems to run much better using that brand- but then again this all could just be in my head :)
I'm getting about 15-20 mpg (that's with no mustangs in sight at the given mile :)
Mike

[This message has been edited by TurboMitsu (edited September 07, 2000).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts