DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to what oil most of you use.
i myself use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my GsX.
wierd but i'm not to much of a fan of synthetic oil why, because when i use to use Quaker State my car never knocked (lifters)untill i started using Mobil synthetic. i guess Mobil 1 synthetic is good for the high temperature these cars put out, but what do you guys think? i'm changing the oil tommorow so i was looking to change to a diferent oil. thanx...

------------------
SaL
DSMing91

[This message has been edited by DSMing91 (edited September 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use mobil 1 non-synthetic. It's what the previous owner always ran. I asked him why not synthetics, and he said that the stuff in the synthetic oil can build up and clog stuff up. I've also heard that from a few other people too. Any one else hear this??

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetics only...in my dsm. You could try the Valvoline Dura-blend. It's a blend of synthetic and non-synthetic oils, gotta be better than the other stuff. I've used it in other cars, with good results.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
871 Posts
all mobil-1 is synthetic. if you are using non-synthetic then it is just plain ol' mobil. i have used mobil-1 for years and am now having second thoughts about it due to the recent webcam issue with synthetics, and also my lifters are very loud and annoying. i called webcam direct and spoke to them about the issue and they said that they don't recommend using mobil-1, also they said they have talked with people that make turbos (wouldn't tell me who???) and the turbo maker said that mobil one causes thier turbo bearings to wear prematurely so i dunno, i might try something else.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
48 Posts
i use valvoline extended-life the one in the red quart. i have no complaints, seems to not burn as fast as others i've tried. (my eclipse burns oil really well) stay away from quaker state, though, it really sucks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you get lifter tick with Mobil-1 synthetic, you may try a thicker weight to bring the oil pressure up. I've experimented some with this. I've tried conventional 10w30, Mobil-1 5w30, Mobil-1 10w30, and Mobil-1 15w50. I found that with the Mobil-1 5w30 and Mobil-1 10w30, the oil pressure was noticably lower when compared to the pressure I was getting with conventional oil; probably attributing to the lifter tick. The oil pressure reading I get when using Mobil-1 15w50 is about the same as what I got when using conventional 10w30. I continue to use Mobil-1 15w50 and I don't have any problems with lifter tick.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Honorary Moderator
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amsoil.. i heard that oil was really good from someone else. where do they sell it? store? and i might just go and try the Mobil 15w30 cause all i've been using was 5w30 & 10w30 and i get lifter noises but not bad.
only when i start the car which lasts 5-10 secs and goes away. i'll i'll try and keep you guys updated on this. anywayz thanx for all the input. at least now i have some direction on this. thanx again.

------------------
SaL
DSMing91

[This message has been edited by DSMing91 (edited September 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DSMing91 (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I have been using amsoil with an amsoil filter for 2 years and the stuff is great. I have no lifter tick right up until it is about time to change the oil again. I get it at a local speed shop for about $4 per quart.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used Mobile-1 for about a year and had lifter tick really bad. I switched to Pennzoil synth. to give it a try for the hell of it and guess what, no more tick :) So I stuck to it for 4 months and still no tick. Who knows, maybe it's a fluke because I never liked Pennzoil before, until now that is. Doesn't matter because my engine is going to be rebuilt over the winter and after that is done (and after the dino oil break in) I will be using Amsoil.

------------------
Craig H
92 Laser AWD

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just changed to Mobil-1, and now have lifter noise, not all the time, but it is there. Should be switching soon.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your lifter tick is significant, you might try an engine flush. Or just add 10 ounces of Berryman Chemtool to your oil and run at fast idle for 15 minutes then change your oil and filter. If you wanna get hardcore with it, pull the valve cover off, take a prybar and pop the roller rockers off so you can pull the lash adjusters out. That way, you can clean each one out with a can of spray solevent (like Chemtool) and reinstall. I did this a while back on another car I had. It took me about two hours start to finish. It kicked my lifter tick's ass. ;)

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've ben using Castrol Syntec 10 W30 for the last 80,000 (out of 116,000) miles on the car. No complaints yet.

Nick
90 AWD, NYC

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've been using Castrol Syntec 10w30 since the 2nd oil change and so far so good. I don't understand why Sythetic oil would cause increased wear on turbo bearings since it's coefficient of friction is less than regular oil. I believe sythetic is also less prone to coking and heat related breakdown. could be wrong though (but i doubt it) ;)

Jesse
99 GSX

·
Registered
871 Posts
i guess i should have been more specific. mobil-1 causes camshaft and turbo bearing wear. apparently mobil-1 does not have "zinc" in it and this is what causes it to wear out cams and such. i don't understand it neither but i'm not a chemical engineer so i couldn't tell you why. i guess all the other synthetics have zinc in them.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey! I'm a Chemical Engineer, must not be a very good one because I don't know why zinc would prolong camshaft and turbo bearings! LOL

Maybe our cars need their vitamins!

Alright now I'm going to have to find out why! :(

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
836 Posts
AGRRRRR!!!! you guys are F*****g kidding me! so it's all just that damn mobil 1? Aarrr!!!
I went through -
1.flushing my engine and changing the oil -no success!
2.taking each lifter out and cleaning it - 5 seconds after start up - tick click tick and one more tick :mad:
3.cleaning the combustion chamber - tick..
4.buying used 2G lifters - tick/tick/tick!!
5.buying brand new lifters - yep. still ticking
6.screaming for help on DSMtalk.com :)
7.ordered a new oil pump yesterday !!ARRGGGHHH!!
8.changing to a different oil? nope I didn't think of that Now I really feel stupid :(
If changing the oil will get rid of the noise Then I will send a nasty letter to mobil 1 .... :mad:

[This message has been edited by TurboMitsu (edited October 04, 2000).]

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Castrol Syntec 10w40...so far so good...

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
I'm not terribly experienced in the matter, but I have always been under the impression that you should use the weight of oil that the factory puts in the car: 10w30. Putting in thicker oil might get rid of the lifter noise, but at the same time you're increasing the friction in the engine, which over time (or under racing conditions) might be bad. You've also go to keep in mind the climate of the area in which you live when considering which oil to buy, i.e., if you live in a really cold or really hot place. I've been using Castrol GTX 10w30, but with slight lifter noise -- been thinking of switching to synthetic. I also might be switching to a slightly heavier oil anyway, because Rochester winters are REALLY cold. In terms of regular vs. synthetic oil, I know of cars that have gone 600,000 miles with regular Catrol in the engine -- then again, our cars require a little more pampering... ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts