DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Basically, a 4g63 is the best engine on the planet! The 2.0L DOHC (both turbo and non-turbo) engine was just "knighted" with this particular model #. You will find it stamped onto a pad on the front side of the engine block; If you are truly blessed!
I DUB THEE 4g63...lol

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
232 Posts
4g63 ONLY relates to the genuine mitsubishi engine.. as they sold the design to alot of other companies including chrysler and hyundai

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
OK...Even if Mitsu originated and sold it in partnership with Chrysler; all DSMs with 2.0L DOHC engines in them have 4g63's. Whereas the 1.8L SOHC engine is a 4g37. Also, most pieces of the three sister cars are the same. Be it a Talon, Laser or an Eclipse; a 4g63 from the factory is a 4g63. *2.0L DOHC* My Talon has engine code 4g63...engine and DSM tag.
Hyundai's too? sigh...
I still feel good!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not all 2.0 DSM are 4G63's. There are the 2G's that have the Neon motor in it, I forget the engine code. This includes the 95-98 Talon Esi, and the Eclipse RS and GS.

Now this is a funny part. I went to a car dealership the other day and I found an Eagle Talon on the lot (1997). On the price sheet it said it was a Talon RS. It even said that on the body. Never thought that Eagle made a Talon RS. Someone please verify this.

------------------
Craig H
92 Laser AWD

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also worthy of note is that not all 4G63s are created equally. Take for example the Evo engines against the DSM engines. Some definite differences in material and probably internal dimensions (I think).

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lived over here in Japan for about 8 years now and there is not much differance internally for the 4g63. Its all external. Example. My 1992 VR-4 came from the factory with 240hp. The engine is the same 7.8:1 piston engine that the first gen's have in the states. However mine has a 16g, large FMIC, 510cc injectors, more agressive timeing and fuel maps. Theres other little differances here and there too. The lancer engine is also the same as the 95's internally. But makes 250hp EVo I, 270hp EVOII, and 280hp EVO III-VI. The Evo IV- VI use alot bigger turbo then the 16g. Not sure what it is but have seen 400hp with factory turbo on some Evo V's. They are all stamped 4G63.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jason, what do you do in Japan? I am soooo jealous. There you are in the land of high-tech sports cars with windy mountain roads, you lucky bastard! Cost of living is a bit stiff, though, right? Cool, Galant VR-4. How much do used Lancer Evos go for over there. I can't even imagine looking through the classifieds and seeing turbo Supras and RX-7s, Lancer Evos, WRXs, and Skylines!!! *drool* *drool* :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Hyundai motor is just based on the 4G63 motor, I don't believe that it displaces 2.0L. I think it's like 1.6L or sumthin'. The intakes are similar to the 1G NT, but a smaller cross-section I believe (i.e. less volume). Externally, other than maybe some bosses on the outside of the block, very few differences (that I've seen). You can use things like cam covers, timing belt covers, etc. I think some of the electronics are similar too (coils, etc.) I'm fairly certain that the injectors are much, much smaller in cc's than even the 4G63 NT. I've looked at the 4G64 2.4L, it's a SOHC, 4V/cyl. Does anybody know if the 4G63 Head will bolt on to one of these? I believe that the 4G64 shortblock is nearly identical, they sure look like it, but one can never be sure unless you measure or try it. I ask, as I have a friend that has a late model Galant with one of these engines, and we were bench-racing, and........you get the idea. The pistons on his 4G64 are similar to the 4G63 1G's. Yes, I am aware of the Engine Control problems that would pose, and I must tell you before you point it out, that it's not a problem. I'm just curious if any of you have, or know of anyone who has tried a head/induction swap.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
So, the moral of this story is... check your DSM for the 4g63 "tag." I must say, after learning a little bit on this one, thanks!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of if not the very first stroker DSM motor did exactly this. use a 4g64 block with a 4g63 head. From what I understand the install is a little funky and it was later discovered that the 4g64 crnak can be used in a 4g63 block and displace 2.3 liters. thats about all I know on the subject.

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah i've also heard you can swap alot of non critical parts with hyundai late model engines for considerably less than what satan asks for. i wonder if a 4g64 crank in a 4g63 block is how FFWD gets there 2.3L engines they sell.. by the way, you dont need to check ur engine. if its a turbo its a 4g63 if it's not it is a chrysler 40whatever. what i want to know is can you put a 4g92 Mivec head onto a 4g63 block.. now that would kick arse and take names. the 4g92 is a 1.6L engine in mirage cyborgs the pump 175 hp so it must be a pretty high flow head..

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts