DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what's left of my timing belt tension pulley:

Car's got almost 140,000 miles. Cruising along at 20 mph and the car just turned off. The pulley just fell apart! Lucky for me it was $300 and change and not a couple grand. What do you think caused it? Just plain old metal fatigue?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has the pulley ever been replaced? Was it done with the last timing belt change?

Hey, is there any way to get this board to display the original message when I'm replying to a message? The nyccdsm board shows whole thread so you can go back and refer to the originals as you're replying...

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joe...

No the pulley has never been replaced to the best of my knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong... when you have a t-belt change done the right way, you get the timing belt tensioner replaced, but not the timing belt tension pulley. (The tensioner being a spring-loaded canister looking thing.)

That being said, my T-Belt has been changed three times with the tensioner replaced the first two times, but not he most recent time. (Ahh... are ya supposed to replace that pulley too?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>is there any way to get this board to display the original message when I'm replying to a message?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's there, you just didn't see it, it is below your reply box and you can scroll the whole thread.

------------------
Ted
95 GSX
[email protected]

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ted,

Yes and IMHO every time. I don' think you would have said anything to me when I would say
"Ted, To replace all the pullies would cost you another $60, Do you want to do it? After all if it does brake you have to pay the labor again and never mind the dammage that could come of it."

I don't think you would have had a prob with $60 on top of the costs would you?

Now answer this. Did you have all them changed this time or just the broken one?

I think it should have gotten all the parts other then the Water pump unless the pump has more then 60K miles on it.

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bill,
What's the list of parts you'd recommend changing at timing belt time?

Timing Belt
Balance Belt

Timing Belt Tensioner
Balance Belt Tensioner

Idler Pulley
Timing Belt Pulley

A/C-Alt belt
Power Steering Belt
Water Pump Belt
Water pump (maybe?)

Is the "Timing Belt Pulley" the same thing as the "Tensioner Pulley"? In other words, is it just 2 pulleys to be replaced?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dude, Im really starting to wish i had changed my pulleys when i did my belt!

did anything happen to the motor?

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>did anything happen to the motor?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No I was lucky.

I am starting to get a bad feeling. I smell a burning smell now from under the hood, sorta like burning rubber. Maybe something is out of alignment and creating friction on a belt??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts