DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently selling my 88 5.0 coupe to get a 1992 - 1994 AWD Turbo Talon. I used to own a 90 TSI and loved it but my tranny was on the way out. Anyhow, this time I want to make sure I get one in perfect shape. Can everyone list what I should look for in the car before I buy it. Are there any significant differences between 92,93, 0r 94's. What I am trying to say is I need some advice! Thanx

------------------
Turbo Boy

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say, look for a 94 5 speed. They have the larger front brakes (post 92?), 4 bolt rear (post 93?), and better tranny. A 94 would probably have fewer miles and wear & tear on it.
- Nick

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Go do a compression test before you even get your hopes up. If the compression test is good, buy the car. If its bad, look elsewhere. A perfect compression test is 164 psi on all 4 cylinders, 121 psi is the service limit and 150+ psi is just right.
You dont wanna find out that you gotta spend $2000 or more for an engine rebuild after you bought the car.

And yes, look for a 94 tsi, they have better brakes, rear end and tranny's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
On my stock 95 the compression is 178 across the board. 178psi is the proper compression. i am reading this straight out of a shop manual for 2gs. I have a 1g manual as well but cant dig it out right now. correct me if im wrong but the compression of 1gs is no different. ive got 80k of hard driving with mods (minus new turbo) and i still hold good compression so if you see a car that has dropped 10 or 20psi across all cylinders i would be borderline. if its just once cylinder it could be carbon deposits on an intake valve which is pretty common on 4g63s when the driver has a heavy foot. i dropped 30psi on one cylinder from carbon once... MCCC fixed it though

·
Registered
61 Posts
I beleive the 1g compression is slightly lower based on the lower compression pistons that are in it. Stock Ratio is 7.8:1 where a 2g is 8.5:1.

------------------

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah also go for the 94. It is newer so it might be in better condition then a 92 or 93. You will also be getting the better tranny, brakes, and 4 bolt rear end. Where if you buy an earlier model if you want these you will have to pay for them. And it might not be worth the extra money compared to buying it. Expescially if you are buying from a regualr Joe who doesn't know these differences in a DSM.

------------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's the list of desireable things for each 1GT AWD year:

90-91, and part of 92 = Big Rod / 6 bolt Motor (is this really better?)
91-94 = Better ECU (More adjustment range)?
92-94 = 4 bolt rear, ABS available w/ LSD
93-94 = Big front brakes, better tranny internals?

See the 1000 asked questions list http://members.home.com/costall/1000Q/answers-makeandmodel.htm#whatarethedifferencesbetweencars for some more/other info...

The condition of the individual car is probably more important than anything...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts