DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up my fellow Dsm people!? How hard is it to install a head gasket? what tools do I need to use? Oh yea, and I'm trying to change my water pump because I believe thats the reason why my car overheats so Fast. any input???:)

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
You need a basic tool set ( $100 set from Autozone etc will do fine ) and a torque wrench.

If you are overheating

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Wont know until you pull it. I am having a over heating issue myself so we are in the same boat. I am waiting for my gasket and pump.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is the coolant leaking from the waterpump or out of the head itself? I wouldn't recommend driving if it's overheating. If you said you are going to do the head gasket also i would recommend sending the head out to a machine shop to get it looked at for warpage or cracks. It's only around $60.00 or so.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
You can pick up a used head for a couple hundred at most.

Have you checked the other things first? Thermostat, Radiator cap, compression etc?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope not yet. as of right now all I know is that. when I start my car and rev the motor after about 25 seconds, white smoke comes out the muffler.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah sounds like a blown head gasket to me. Which could infact mean warped head or cracked. Since your changing the gasket anyway, get it checked. Trust me, it will be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If white smoke comes out the muffler than you got coolant going into the combustion chamber. Most likely a bad headgasket. I would still send out the head to a machine shop though just to make sure it's fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. It all started when I was on the freeway, and I shifted straight to 3rd thinking it was 1st gear.. (rookie mistake)then the car started jerking back and forth.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Im not too sure about a 2g but I know for a fact that on a 1g you also need a 10mm Hex head to remove the head studs. Now if its the same for the 2g than you dont want to have everything apart to find out the head studs are hex heads. Maybe someone with a 2g can chime in on this.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Would the engine need to be retimed after replacing the head gasket?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I wouldn't recommend you yourself doing that job after reading this thread lol. You have alot to learn and a headgasket is not a job to teach yourself on. Though if you are careful and read enough about it in time you could be fine. Shifting into 3rd thinking it was first? Do you mean you shifted from 2nd into 1st thinking it was 3rd because that would not be good. The way you stated it wouldn't do any damage.
7 bolt heads use a 14mm 12pt socket as well. Don't go cheap or used on a torque wrench either as that tool is key to how the gasket will hold up.

I would say if you are very organized in disassembly and torque the bolts propperly you would be fine. As for timing I would highly recommend finding someone that has done a dsm before. Lining the teath up is tricky and you can be off a tooth thinking it is correct.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts