DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

What turbo to get......

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  vince orrico 
#1 ·
Sometime in the future this T2small has to go and I was just wondering what is the concenus on what is a good turbo to get. T28 or 16G? I have heard mixd reviews on the T28, that it is just as good as the 16G till 16psi, and spools faster. Others say it is just as bad as the T25. BUT the 16G flows better so I will get more power from the 16G at the same boost level, and it produces less heat so less possible chance of detenation. correct???

I have to keep this in mind.

1) This is a daily driven car (hence, don't want 625inj, 9mpg, 30psi, melted radiator fans, live in TX!!!, etc...)

2) I auto-x more than I drag race but when a Rust-stang or a Crapmaro comes but I want to do spanking.

3) I want POWER!!!

4) Kinda worried about warranty hence the thought of T28. Worried crankwalk! :-(

So what do ya'll think??? Any thoughts???

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

See less See more
#3 ·
definitly go with a "big" 16g over the t28...hell i think the big 16g is cheaper then the t28 conversion anyways and the 16g will definitly give more power. personally i wouldn't get anything smaller then a 20g but you said you didn't want to go fast :D :D :D, errr i mean didn't want to get injectors, or get 9mpg(damn i get over 15mpg w/20g @20psi on the street)i don't think i ever met a truely satisfied 16g owner with a 2g.

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#4 ·
4npower,what do you mean when you say that you don't think you have ever met a 2g owner with a 16g? i'm just curious,b/c i have been considering uprgrading ,but don't really know what might be best...
i'm looking to stay completely streetable,but just be competitive with or edging out american muscle,not looking for a strip car...just the occasional street race or chase..

anyhow,i was thinking a 16g with fuelpump...about 15-16 psi and other basic mods to do so...3" cat back,etc....

what do you think?

#5 ·
basically what i'm trying to say is that you'll never be happy with what you have, you'll always want to go faster. and it's the guys that buy the 16g's that after a year wish they would have gotten a 20g or more because the turbo is just so damn small and they can't get out of the high 12's.
don't get me wrong the 16g is a nice street turbo and some cars go really fast with them but you'll out grow it sooner or later, so why not save yourself some money and get a bigger turbo right from the start. i don't care what you guys say, if you plan on keeping your dsm for a long time and your into speed you'll outgrow a 16g, exspecially when the guy that has half the mods as you do but has a frank-4 to your 16g beats your best time by a second or more. some where in the past sombody said that a 20g isn't streetable because it has "so much lag" so now everybody thinks that unless you have a "race car" you shouldn't get anything bigger then a 16g, well let me say this..i have the most laggy 20g out there(hrc s-20g)and i have 22psi by 4 grand, to me that's not bad at all, now if i'm going 40mph in 4th gear and i try to floor it, well yeah it's gonna take 5 seconds to build boost but i'd hope that people don't try to race like that :D and remember this....the bigger the turbo or should i say the better a turbo can flow, the easier it will be to make hp, but there are limitations on the engine, like the 2g head and this is what's holding me back right now :(

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4npower:
basically what i'm trying to say is that you'll never be happy with what you have, you'll always want to go faster. and it's the guys that buy the 16g's that after a year wish they would have gotten a 20g or more because the turbo is just so damn small and they can't get out of the high 12's.
don't get me wrong the 16g is a nice street turbo and some cars go really fast with them but you'll out grow it sooner or later, so why not save yourself some money and get a bigger turbo right from the start. i don't care what you guys say, if you plan on keeping your dsm for a long time and your into speed you'll outgrow a 16g, exspecially when the guy that has half the mods as you do but has a frank-4 to your 16g beats your best time by a second or more. some where in the past sombody said that a 20g isn't streetable because it has "so much lag" so now everybody thinks that unless you have a "race car" you shouldn't get anything bigger then a 16g, well let me say this..i have the most laggy 20g out there(hrc s-20g)and i have 22psi by 4 grand, to me that's not bad at all, now if i'm going 40mph in 4th gear and i try to floor it, well yeah it's gonna take 5 seconds to build boost but i'd hope that people don't try to race like that :D and remember this....the bigger the turbo or should i say the better a turbo can flow, the easier it will be to make hp, but there are limitations on the engine, like the 2g head and this is what's holding me back right now :(

bill

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VERY TRU!!!!!!!!!! I hate my 16g. Im am DYING to get a bigger turbo.

#7 ·
Wow I thought A 20G was overkill for the street. Anyways I was thinking of getting A greddy 18G. I know it's about A grand more than the big 16G and is basicly the same but it carries A carb legal sticker with it also. So I wouldn't have to worry about changeing it out when I go to get it smogged.

#8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vince orrico:
Wow I thought A 20G was overkill for the street. Anyways I was thinking of getting A greddy 18G. I know it's about A grand more than the big 16G and is basicly the same but it carries A carb legal sticker with it also. So I wouldn't have to worry about changeing it out when I go to get it smogged.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, i think the 20g is a great street turbo.
i have seen too many 16g dsm's getting spanked on the streets by supercharged cobras, supra's, or 20g equipped talon's :D yes that's right i occasionally pick on slower dsm's in my area. i mean i'm the fastest dsm around here except for overboosted's 95 gsx and that sit's in the garage all the time so he has yet to prove it to me, but it should be quicker ;)

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sublime:
Hey 4npower,

Anyways, just curious 4npower, on which of your DSMs do you have the 20g on? What kind of times are you getting?

Jack
98GST
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have the s-20g on my 95 tsi-awd. as far as times we'll just say that my best mph was 116mph....and that run left me with a 2.5 60ft. you see i'm the dumbass that tryed to get the factory clutch to hold 400hp in an awd. i've had a act 2600 sitting in my living room for 6 months now :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thrownrods:
i would love a 20g but the thing is you havto buy more stuff to make it run rite..such as injectors wastegate afc and maybe even front mount or larger intercooler.
and i just cant realy put that much into my car..succs 4 me
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe that's why i love my platinum cards :D
yes i understand that issue guys but what i'm trying to say is you could run out and buy a 16g now and in a year or so when you have everything you need to support the 20g then you'll have to spend more money to buy another turbo. i have seen people spend thousands of dollars modding thier car this way, and if they would have had a plan from the beginning they could have put that money to other use(like rebuilding the tranny :D ). just keep saving is my advice, you'll be alot happier with the outcome.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#13 ·
hey mospeed i own a 98GST and i just got the Big 16g and trust me when i tell you that it is badass. Of course i also got the fuel pump which you will need if you want to start boosting higher than 16-17psi. I got the exhaust manifold ported at the same time. I bought my Big 16g from www.ddynopower.com which i think he got it from www.turbochargers.com. It cost me 699.00. It is my daily driven car and i live in houston,texas. You dont have to get the ported manifold but it will help alot and the only other thing you might need is if you get the fuel pump, you would need to get a S-AFC(or something else to control) to control your air-fuel. Then you can turn up the boost even higher.

#14 ·
Hey 4npower,

I think most of the time, 2g owners are so quick to get rid of their POS turbo, that they don't want to save up. That's the case for me at least. :D

Besides, if I tried to save up while going to school ... forget it. It would be this time next year when I get my 20G/FMIC/injectors/PMS/ext WG/ACT 2600/etc...

Anyways, just curious 4npower, on which of your DSMs do you have the 20g on? What kind of times are you getting?

Jack
98GST

#16 ·
i thought 20gs were also non streetable because of the external wastegate.. i've never heard a external wg open up but i know how the whole system works and imagine it is really obnoxious.. anyways around this???

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

#17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redgsturbo:
i've never heard a external wg open up but i know how the whole system works and imagine it is really obnoxious.. anyways around this???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe....I think it's cool when an unsuspecting f-body or moosetang owner hears an external open up. :D They get that look like oh sh%t what did I just get myself into. I've heard of people plumbing the dump tube back into the exhaust to help silence it but I don't know if there are any negative drawbacks to it (other than it's quieter).

#19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redgsturbo:
i thought 20gs were also non streetable because of the external wastegate.. i've never heard a external wg open up but i know how the whole system works and imagine it is really obnoxious.. anyways around this???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah there is a way around it, get the hrc super turbo's. both the 16g and 20g have an internal w/g. this is what makes them so super-dooper-7cm-wooper :D :D :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#20 ·
Be different and get a Garrett! I have one and I love it! Sure you got to spend money for a manifold but the turbos are so much better! I was running a T3 super 60 on my 2g.
I ran a 12.49 at 111 with that turbo! Had the normal mods.....It spooled also as fast as the t25 and pulled hard to redline! They flow almost as much as a 20G...I now upgrade to a T3\T4 and have gone slower;( Having tuning problems....BTW my old T3 is for sale ;)
BTW 4npower did you use to have a yellow integra?
Ryan

#21 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gbr76:
BTW 4npower did you use to have a yellow integra?
Ryan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why yes i did. where are you from. how do you know that car. shhhh don't tell my dsm buddies :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#25 ·
oh ok......"fastboy" right. you had a hybrid civic right. hehe yeah i used to be a hardcore honda boy(not a ricer) but one ride in a 16g equipped 2g sent me on my quest for the perfect awd 2g. well i found it a black 95 tsi-awd w/27,000miles on the odometer owned by a 45 yr old female. one thing led to another and....well you know the rest. i do still have a honda civic though that i managed to turbo and get into the low 14's :D but nothing to brag about. i'll have to check ya next time i get to maple grove.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

#26 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike@DSS:
When we size turbos for people we ask how much power you want to make, then get the smallest turbo that can make that power.
That way you will have the least lag and still get the power you want.
Mike@DSS
I would consider the Forced Performance T28/28.
DG ran a 12.9 on it and is sounds like a realy good auto-x turbo.
I was thinking of trying it on my 1G. Pulling of my L2 for auto-x.
Mike@DSS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

then what happens when the person wants more hp then they originally opted for, as the seller i'd imagine you'd tell them to get a bigger turbo(what other option do they have), but as the buyer i'd tell them to get a turbo you can grow into. meaning get a turbo that is capable of <atleast 50% more> hp then what you say you needed in the first place. lag....hehe... you guys should be puting superchargers on your cars, that way you can't complain about it.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.